Amp for passive JTR Captivator 2400

Shodrewken

I run a single passive Cap 2400 with a Behringer EP4000 and it is a fantastic match. Let me tell you the Cap WILL blow you away and I highly recommend it. I run the Behringer MIC 2200 for EQ duties using a Dayton V2 omnimic for frequency measurement (easy to do). I upgraded from a Klipsch KSW 300 so it really isnt fair to make a comparison between the two as the difference is enormous. The Cap gives a 3 dimensional shape to the bass and real feel during movies, stunning. Its an aggressive beast. Ive ordered a second one to complete the look of the front soundstage, not that I need it but I dont mind overkill when it comes to lower frequencies. You can bridge the EP4000 and have plenty of power to run two as the guys will atest on the AVS JTR Captivator thread. Some run their dual Caps using Crown XLS 5000 which reportedly can find the Cap limits at extreme levels. For only around $300-$400 the Behringer is hard to beat as you would have trouble finding the Cap limits whilst not underpowering. The Inuke is also recommended as the DSP is better for EQ but not sure if you could power duals sufficiently? A good question to ask the thread on AVS ARCHAEA is a great source of info for Caps. On page 92 of the JTR Captivator thread he lists the best way to setup the Cap including all cables. I would strongly recommend this as a reference. An inexpensive way to setup that gets the best performance out of the Cap(s). Im not sure the Inuke 6000 can be bridged but otherwise would be another option. FWIW I find the MIC2200 does a great job and is inexpensive for EQ (and a must IMO if you want to see the cap at its best). If you buy dual Passive Caps this is where the savings will be had over the active version but the EP4000 (along with other proamps) has a noisy fan which you will need to modify or run from another room (as I do). The port tune of the 2400 is around 18Hz so technically it wont go as low as a sealed design but Ive never felt like I was missing out on anything. Some would argue that whilst it doesnt measure below this something (big) is still felt. Hope this helps.

archaea is my buddy who Ives by me that i told you about viper. He started with a crown 202 I believe them moved to the inuke and is now back to a higher wattage crown. With the mic 2200 and he has videos of them babies blowing blankets around the floor like its cool. First time I went to his house, 10 feet from the subs they blow enough air out of the port about halfway through the demo I had to ask for a dang blanket!

Yeah some of the guys on AVS directed me to the JTR Cap thread and I found his posts. His post on page 92 of the thread was especially helpful. Still not sure which amp I'm gonna go with, but this new sub endeavor might have to get kicked to the back burner for a bit. We might have a chance to move to a bigger place with a good size yard for the kid, so we'll see in a month or two. Glad you were able to sell your gear.

Still not sure which amp I'm gonna go with, but this new sub endeavor might have to get kicked to the back burner for a bit. We might have a chance to move to a bigger place with a good size yard for the kid, so we'll see in a month or two.

That would be great, family always comes first. The kids will be back to college next month so my gear buying will take a back seat, lol.

Yeah I'd take a nice new house over new gear anyway. I think my spending is about to stop soon as now that I'm out of the military and back home all my really good friends have Harleys. So I see a bagger, leathers, and my "old lady" on the back in the next couple years hopefully.

Well we're moving! Still renting but this place will be a lot easier to raise a kid in. Still a two bedroom, one bath, but the place was gutted, new everything. There's a family room and living room, so I'll be able to use one of the rooms for my ht! Its gonna be a busy month!