Amp for passive JTR Captivator 2400

Shodrewken

My VTF-3 has served me well, but now I want to take it to the next level for my HT bass needs. I plan on getting another Captivator once the wife and I get our own place so I'll need an amp that can eventually handle two. Any suggestions? Thanks guy!

This amp is stable down to 5 Hz, my Berhinger and other proamp give figures down to 20 Hz. A large number of people use this with the Chase sub. This amp can drive 4 of my subs and dig out an extra 6-8 db. across the frequency bandwidth. Sorry for the bold print, I could not get rid of it.

MQ-600 Amplifier

$600.00

THIS PAGE IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

A Message from Craigsub on the MQ-600 Amplifier...

The MQ-600 amplifier was designed to be the perfect companion to our passive subwoofer designs. It is an old fashioned, class AB amplifier. The specifications on the MQ-600, while excellent, don't tell the whole story. It is a very conservatively rated amp that does so much more in the real world than its raw numbers suggest. It's a 52 pound beast of an amp that is overbuilt in every way.
When I was looking for amplifiers, I tested units from Crown, Behringer, QSC and Peavey. None of them brought out the WOW factor I was looking for in an amplfier. Enter the MQ-600. The MQ-600 was introduced to me by a speaker designer with over 30 years of experience with some of the finest speaker companies on the planet. He sent me a link to the unit, and at first, I did what many of you would do - I wondered if it was powerful enough. This designer assured me that it was, and that the sonics of the amplifier were first rate.
The company itself was so confident in the MQ-600 that they sent me a unit to try out. Within five minutes, I knew we had the answer to taking our passive subwoofers to the next level. Putting it into plain English, this amp ROCKS our passive 18's. Compared to the other amps, it hits harder and deeper than anything I have tried for under $2000. Even the over $2000 amplifiers only match this unit.
Living with the MQ-600 is also easier than with most "pro-amps". The fan is whisper quiet, and the inclusion of both Speakon and binding posts on the back of the amp make hooking up to a subwoofer a snap.
The specs?
Two channels driven @ 8 ohms is 600 WPC
Two channels driven @ 4 ohms is 900 WPC
Two channels driven @ 20 ohms is 1100 WPC
Damping factor greater than 500
Response is +/- 0.1 dB to 20 Hz and +/-1 dB to 5 Hz
When looking at these specs, keep in mind that this amp can do these specs easily. If this was a BASH amp, the rating would be something like 1800 watts RMS @ 4 ohms (per channel) with 3600 watt peaks.
Please visit our forum to see what customers are saying about the MQ-600 amplifier. At the $600 price, there is nothing I can find that is as powerful, or sounds as good, as an MQ-600. Match it with our subwoofers, and you will have an unmatched bass system.

The I Nuke 3000 DSP is a nice amp but, not in the same league as the MQ 600. I got the Berhinger due to the DSP because I don't have sub EQ under 63 Hz. I run it in bridge mode. It has PEQ, DEQ, 8 frequency bands and filter from 6 db to 48 db for Butterworth or Linkowitz slopes. A bass boost around 20 Hz can be done and a peak can be cut under 63 Hz for my system. Anymore EQ under 63 Hz is not beneficial in my system. I am in the minority in using this amp with the Chase subs. Most people are using the MQ 600 or a Berhinger I Nuke 6000. I can only drive 2 subs where as the MQ can drive 4. This will save money if you plan on more than 2 subs.

In my 6500+ space, I can get flat to around 15 Hz. I don't use a flat curve since my system is also for music. Here is an interesting clip from the Chase forum:

Here are the predicted output levels (@
2 meters) for an SS-18.1 with the Dayton SA-1000 amp, an SS-18.2 with our MQ-600
amp and a pair of SS-18.2's with our MQ-600 amp.

Pricing is as follows:

SS-18.1 with Dayton
amp: $850

SS-18.2 with MQ-600 amp: $1550
SS-18.2 duals with MQ-600 amp: $2400
add 3 db since the below measurement were at 2 meters and 1 meter is the standard reference.

Frequency ... SS-18.1 ... SS-18.2 ... SS-18.2
Duals

12.5 Hz ......... 92 dB ..... 98 dB
..... 104 dB

16 Hz ......... 97 dB ..... 103 dB
..... 109 dB

20 Hz ......... 101 dB ..... 107 dB
..... 114 dB

25 Hz ......... 105 dB ..... 111 dB
..... 117 dB

31 Hz ......... 109 dB ..... 115 dB
..... 121 dB

40 Hz ......... 113 dB ..... 119 dB
..... 125 dB

50 Hz ......... 116 dB ..... 122 dB
..... 128 dB

63 Hz ......... 116 dB ..... 122 dB
..... 128 dB

80 Hz ......... 116 dB ..... 122 dB
..... 128 dB
Your JTR should be capable of even better numbers . You may need a subsonic filter which can be done with a I Nuke amp or mini DSP to protect the drive below 20 Hz for a vented subwoofer. These are impressive number for a commercial sub. See database.com. http://www.data-bass.com/systems

Those are some impressive numbers. Thanks for the response! That mq-600 amp looks pretty sweet too. The ss 18-2 intrigues me, something about two 18" drivers in a single cabinet just screams awesome. I wonder how well the mq-600 would work with the cap 2400?

Here is a sub shootout:http://www.avsforum.com/t/1368326/subfest-2011-huskeromaha-and-desertdomes-subwoofer-showdown

The Seaton submersive, JTR, and the Chase subs are included. If I am correct the JTR can in the low 130 db range. The Seaton and JTR were 1st and 2nd and Chase was 3 and 4. There is a big price difference for these subs, lol. Here is a graph for another sub shootout using the Dayton amp. This amp rolled over and died on me after hitting 120 db and the sub could do more. This amp was not pushed all the way in the sub shootout like the other subs:

All of these subs are very nice. For me, the small footprint and 75 lbs. was a big factor since these are in a family room and I am tired of lugging around all this heavy gear, lol. I can hit 121 db in a movie with all speakers going which is what reference level calls for a systems with the LFE and redirected bass. This is asking a lot of any system and I would never listen that loud for an extended time peroid. Feeling my ears pop sometmes mean I have all the bass I can take. I add a 6 db bass boost at 20 Hz. to bring up the low end a bit more.

I run a single passive Cap 2400 with a Behringer EP4000 and it is a fantastic match. Let me tell you the Cap WILL blow you away and I highly recommend it. I run the Behringer MIC 2200 for EQ duties using a Dayton V2 omnimic for frequency measurement (easy to do). I upgraded from a Klipsch KSW 300 so it really isnt fair to make a comparison between the two as the difference is enormous. The Cap gives a 3 dimensional shape to the bass and real feel during movies, stunning. Its an aggressive beast. Ive ordered a second one to complete the look of the front soundstage, not that I need it but I dont mind overkill when it comes to lower frequencies. You can bridge the EP4000 and have plenty of power to run two as the guys will atest on the AVS JTR Captivator thread. Some run their dual Caps using Crown XLS 5000 which reportedly can find the Cap limits at extreme levels. For only around $300-$400 the Behringer is hard to beat as you would have trouble finding the Cap limits whilst not underpowering. The Inuke is also recommended as the DSP is better for EQ but not sure if you could power duals sufficiently? A good question to ask the thread on AVS ARCHAEA is a great source of info for Caps. On page 92 of the JTR Captivator thread he lists the best way to setup the Cap including all cables. I would strongly recommend this as a reference. An inexpensive way to setup that gets the best performance out of the Cap(s). Im not sure the Inuke 6000 can be bridged but otherwise would be another option. FWIW I find the MIC2200 does a great job and is inexpensive for EQ (and a must IMO if you want to see the cap at its best). If you buy dual Passive Caps this is where the savings will be had over the active version but the EP4000 (along with other proamps) has a noisy fan which you will need to modify or run from another room (as I do). The port tune of the 2400 is around 18Hz so technically it wont go as low as a sealed design but Ive never felt like I was missing out on anything. Some would argue that whilst it doesnt measure below this something (big) is still felt. Hope this helps.

Aj72 I agree it will be hard to find the Captivators limits. I don't even think about trying to push my subs any further since the most any movies can ask the sub to produce is 121 db and most of us don't listen a Reference level. The new movie Pacific Rim is suppose to be a LFE monster.

Wow! Thanks for that info Derrick. After seeing these numbers I'm seriously considering the Chase subs. Such good bang for your buck, and they're close to the performance of the Captivators and definitely cheaper. I'm gonna give Craig a call today and pick his brain for which of his subs would best fit my setup.

AJ72, thank you for your input. When I have sometime today I'll check that AVS thread out. I'm really excited about these subs, my Hsu VTF-3 blew me away when I first heard it, I can't wait to hear what either the cap or chase will sound like!

AJ72, thank you for your input. When I have sometime today I'll check that AVS thread out. I'm really excited about these subs, my Hsu VTF-3 blew me away when I first heard it, I can't wait to hear what either the cap or chase will sound like!

A great moment in time for you whichever way you go. Ive got the KG 5.5s as my mains with Crites titanium tweeters. I see you have owned these how do you find the newer Klipsch speakers compared to the older models listed as gone but not forgotten in your signature?

I loved my 5.5's! They were a really great speaker, and I actually preferred them over the KLF-10's I had. I would have loved to get some Crites upgrades into them, I'm sure they would have helped to really open them up. From what I can remember comparing them to my new Reference speakers, the 7's have a more refined sound. I can more easily hear the separation of the instruments, and the bass seems tighter, and quicker. Remember mine were with stock diaphragms, crossover, etc.