are digi-amps sensitive to impedance dips?

Tom Mobley

I remember much discussion about SET amps having issues with big swings in speaker impedance. 5Si like that at all? AL-700P? I've gotten to where I like the sound of these things while also figuring I really need to do something about the original K-500-500 crossovers in my Khorns.

My choices ( the ones I like anyway) are a low parts count A type or a more complex and and expensive ALK AA type with constant impedance. Worth persuing the improvements in the impedance curve for use with these type amps?

hey Tom: no electronics guy but any improvement that yu can make to smooth the impedance load of any speaker is going to make the amp happier. If your amplifier has a solid supply (the term is stiff) which has the capacity to double its output as the speaker load drops then all will be right with the world. The supply is the real expensive part of an amp and where they cut the most corners. You can build a 10 watt amp which will deliver ten watts into 8 ohms but only 4 watts in four ohms and only 2 watts into 2 ohms then the supply clips and things get ugly. Build the exact same amplifier circuit with a big stiff supply and you will be able to deliver 8 watts into 8 ohms 16 watts into 4 ohms and 32 watts into 2 ohms. That amplifier sounds like a monster with tremendous dynamics and control with seeming endless effortless powere delivery. The catch is that the second amp costs an arm and a leg to make. The issue is supply stability not (in most cases) amplifier stability. In many cases people are not hearing the amp clip they are hearing the supply clip. The cheap guys cheat and sell you a wimpy little light amp with seemingly good numbers the good guys sell you what seems to be the same 8 watt amp but which is heavier but you dont even consider the weight you are choaking overthe cost of the second amp which is still only rated as 8 watts. Joe blow consumer figures since he only has so much coin that he will buy the cheapest 8 watt amp and that's where the problems begin. You get what you pay for.

People then generally ask what is the most I can get for the least? The answer is (again) that you get what you pay for. I have yet to hear an amp that does not sound better with more supply. Double the supply sound gets better double it again it gets better. You will find that most folks run out of money or out of space in the chassis for more filter caps. Been there and done that. At some point you look to find the very best sounding (to you) circuit that you can and do a well balanced build of that. I am running redesigned 405 Quad aplifiers which are capable of about as low distortion as is possible and which sounds very fine in full dual mono now. There are other fine amp designs like the Sumo 9 and 9+ and the Luxman L58A. These are some of the best designs I know of but these amps all need TLC and a full rebuild from the ground up due to their age. These amps are very neutral and each have its own flavor but they qare more alike than different.Digital or switching amps tend to sound best with large linear supplies rather than switching supplies but there are exceptions. Clean switching supplies are expensive to make as they generate lots of RF and shielding inside the amp must be first classto prevent contamination of the audio signal.

I have listened to digital amps which sound very good. Try the Panasonid HT receivers they are inexpensive and very good tre digitall amps that sound good and do not cost a lot. Multiple channels can be used to bi or even triamp your speakers. Worth looking into. Hope this helped and was of some interest. Best regards Moray James.

that depends totally upon the manufacturer. Most decent quality makes have reasonably low impedance output impedance. There are a lot of very inexpensive T-amps which have wall wart supplies those supplies. Those amps are not going to be able to deliver much. Like I said you get what you pay for. Digital amp linear amp you can buy good ones cheap ones geat ones. Choose your speaker then find an amp that delivers what that speaker needs. Hope that helps Best regards Moray James.