Wanna get frustrated? Try finding a DSD player!!!

Mallette

Amy's post about the latest HDTT release of PWK tapes got me excited when I saw it available in DSD. I thought DSD must be getting some traction and perhaps Sony was loosening it's death grip on the technology.

Saw references to a Sony DSD Direct Player software, free. Totally bizarre. Lot's of downloads of an upgrade for it, including one on Sony's on site...but not a SINGLE reference to anywhere you could actually get the player! Some links that claimed to be the player were also the upgrade, which simply runs and reports "No target found." Every writeup was identical. Downright spooky, and like a bad dream.

Found references that JRiver could playback DSD, but here again a major mess of caveats and such with no clear "But can it play my DSD file?" Found a reference that Zonar XT card had a DSD capable chip...but again, no reference to any software that could deliver a signal to it.

Quite a few folks touting it, but nobody saying HOW TO DO IT! Incredibly frustrating! The cheapest DAC I found that clearly stated it could play it back was 2500.00, and again, no mention of software to deliver the bitstream to it.

Found mention of a Korg DS-DAC-10 DA at around 600, same deal about software PLUS no mention AT ALL on the Korg USA site about it or any links to a Korg site elsewhere with technical information.

I've a Korg MR-1 and Audiogate, but you can only playback pure DSD from the MR-1, which only has a 20GB drive and isn't something you want to archive stuff on. Audiogate will playback the DSD files, but converts them to PCM first. Rather pointless.

A really frustrating hour with no results.

Anybody else look into this situation?

Dave

I'm not sure this is exactly what you're talking about, but my Marantz UD5005 will output DSD via HDMI. But maybe you're talking about a data file.

EDIT: turns out the Marantz won't play DSD thru it's USB\Network inputs, only from a SACD disc? Man, that's limited. Good thing I don't use that feature, no DSD files\discs here.

Saw references to a Sony DSD Direct Player software, free. Totally bizarre. Lot's of downloads of an upgrade for it, including one on Sony's on site...but not a SINGLE reference to anywhere you could actually get the player! Some links that claimed to be the player were also the upgrade, which simply runs and reports "No target found." Every writeup was identical. Downright spooky, and like a bad dream.

I found this on the Korg site, so I don't know if this meets your needs. As far as the Sony DSD Direct software, when I took a quick stab at it, seems that everything is "upgrade" and not an original, "full" download.

Anyway, here is the Korg Link to thier AudioGate 2.0 software, which seems to claim to handle DSD files natively.

http://www.korg.com/ClassDetail.aspx?ID=123

On the Mac side, seems good ol' PureAudio can handle playing back DSD files natively (if you have a DAC that will support it).

Upon farther research, have you looked into FooBar2000 and the DSD plugin?

I have a Korg MR-1 and Audiogate, but Agate transcodes to PCM on the fly...no point.

Didn't see any references to Foobar doing DSD, but will check it out. Mac is no good as the only thing I'd use an overpriced non-standard PC for would be to playback DSD files.

Dave

Alrighty, then. Foobar appears to have a DSD plug. It may be a couple of weeks before I can check it out as my weekend is filled, but I've downloaded. I also have to check that my Zonar XT has the right chip set for DSD.

However, it looks promising...

Will report in due time.

Dave

Didn't see any references to Foobar doing DSD, but will check it out. Mac is no good as the only thing I'd use an overpriced non-standard PC for would be to playback DSD files.

Dave

Well, my "overpriced non-standard PC" seems to be working quite well for things like this, including all the development that I do on it. Considering that OS/X is using a Unix kernel, it is way more standard than you think (such as Posix standard). Plus for those of us that DO have Macs, and want to play DSD, seems PureAudio works quite nicely for that.,

Anyway, hopefully the Foobar/DSD plug-in works out for you.

Heck, bud, no dis was intended. I haven't seen a Mac in years and they aren't compatible with the industrial world I work in. At home I use Linux for all but one PC as it's cost effective.

I am not particular, but I have to have compatibility and low cost in my personal units at home, and the Mac simply costs more while doing the same job.

No offense intended.

Dave

I haven't seen a Mac in years and they aren't compatible with the industrial world I work in. At home I use Linux for all but one PC as it's cost effective.

I am not particular, but I have to have compatibility and low cost in my personal units at home, and the Mac simply costs more while doing the same job.

I know just how you feel about the MAC thing, but I bought the bullet and jumped in when I found a refurb mac mini on sale. Been pulling my hair out ever since, but its been worth it. Pure Music/Vinyl has been a little touchy but the results are stunning to my ears when playing any of the hi-res formats.

Let us know how Foobar goes for you.

All the best.

Brad, I am very much a "whatever fits your budget and floats your boat' type. No real bias. Frankly, I hate all the "modern" OS and find none as capable as some lost to the iron boot of these monopolies and the industrial sheep who followed them blindly. It still amazes me that people actually will pay to purchase the software they paid for once for another OS. Nothing could be more crooked. When person purchases Office or Photoshop, it would cost the OEM nothing to provide multiple OS versions on the same media...yet a simple change of OS means you get to buy it again.

No way, since another OS is simply a preferential GUI, comfort, or style decision yielding nothing at the output stage.

I know guys who are hugely proud of their 5k CD players. I am proud for them, but I don't hear the extra money at all. Of course, as I've said before, I may be deaf... [;)]

Dave