S.M.S.L. Chip amps???

DizRotus

You need to try one of THESE

I seem to recall reading that this unit is made by SMSL. I could be mistaken.

In any case, I should stress that the customer service supplied by SMSL has been exemplary. Not many companies will tell you to wait until they sort out issues before buying their products.

In any case, I should stress that the customer service supplied by SMSL has been Exemplary. Not many companies will tell you to wait until they sort out issues before buying their products.

It's self serving and makes good business sense. Why sell a product when you know you'll have to pay return shipping twice to replace a product with missing components. They shouldn't rely on their customers to wait, they should stop sales untill they get their production issues sorted out.

In any case, I should stress that the customer service supplied by SMSL has been Exemplary. Not many companies will tell you to wait until they sort out issues before buying their products.

It's self serving and makes good business sense. Why sell a product when you know you'll have to pay return shipping twice to replace a product with missing components. They shouldn't rely on their customers to wait, they should stop sales untill they get their production issues sorted out.

Agreed!

I should have said, "Not ENOUGH companies will tell you to wait until they sort out issues before buying their products." All companies should think this way.

The replacement arrived today. It looks good and works.

After a brief listen, it sounds good. It seems better than the Lepai amps.

I notified SMSL of the arrival of the replacement amp. They might still be "conducting vacation" this week. When they give me the OK, I'll break the seal, open the case and photograph the insides to compare to the defective amp and the photos in the eBay listing.

I'm also waiting for the OK to purchase an SA-50.

I continue to enjoy the sound of the replacement amp. SMSL-China's service is beyond reproach.

In the photos attached to this post and the post that follow, the defective amp is #1 on the left; the replacement amp is #2 on the right. The new amp looks like #1, they do not look like the photos in the eBay listing (see pdf attached several posts back). It's missing the same 4 resistors between the input and output terminals and the air core inductors as #1. It's also missing the larger blue resistor near the power switch and the Rubycon can cap shown in the photos in the eBay listing.

While it sounds fine, I must admit I'd feel more comfortable without the blank spaces on the board. It would be more reassuring if it looked like the amp shown in the eBay listing.

SMSL-China should understand the market for these amps is do it yourself (DIY) audio hobbyists. Most will open their amps and be unpleasantly surprised if they lack parts shown in the eBay listings.

I welcome explanations from those more knowledgeable regarding chip amps than yours truly (which excludes almost no one) about the missing parts and the effect that has on performance.

I'm also interested in suggestions and guidance regarding modifications to this and the Lepai TA2020.

The only observable external difference pertains to the 8 screws holding the cases together. Amp #1 has hex bolts on the front and torx on the rear. Amp #2 has hex bolts front and rear, although the rears require a smaller Allen wrench.