McIntosh MC-240

With a sensitivity of 104dB, I am not sure why you are not going with the Single-Ended Triode option. The McIntosh brings about pretty polarized opinions but based on where you are heading, I would really opt for the SET approach. It will be quite a different level altogether. A lot of McIntosh lovers here but I have never been a total fan although I have admired them and IMO, the tube gear is much better than the solid state. With 104dB, you can afford to take a step up by going down in watts along with a step up in sonics. The McIntosh are built like tanks and the tubes will last forever (relatively) but the purity and openness (as well as next level of intimacy) of SET is a different ballpark.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

I've used MC240s on and off (right now: off) for about 25 years and they CAN be terrific amps. They demand first-rate output tubes (GEC KT-66 or Mullard EL37 are the best) and at least one kick-*** 12AX7 (the rest of the tubes don't matter as much).

I have listened to high-dollar 300B and 2A3 SET amps in my system and even though they were terrific, I don't think I could be happy forever with them (both lacked a certain "authority" in the bass and a lack of crispness in the upper-midrange). I'm a die-hard MAC fan and have probably just grown to accept their sound as my "standard" and can't really seem to break away. I don't really WANT to break away!

All I know is that I just listened to the Paul Chambers Blue Note LP "Whims of Chambers" and his bass was RIGHT THERE in front of me! I've never heard jazz bass sound more real than with McIntosh tube amps and Klipsh Cornwalls.

If you can get the amp for 800 bucks or so, just go for it. If you don't end up loving it you can spin it on ebay for a quick profit!

Thanks for the replies guys. I knew mobile would chime in here. Smile.gif I hear where he's coming from and would really like to hear a good 2A3 SET with my La Scala's. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't try to hear what some other amps sound like. Like Allan said, I could probably get my money back if I don't like the McIntosh. BTW Allan, what amp(s) are you currently using and why did you choose them over the MC-240?

Thanks,

Mike

Allan, I do remember you talking of a Moth amp you had for audition but nothing else. Is that the main SET you are basing it on or have you heard some others?

I will have to say that all SET amplifiers are surely not created equal just as in push-pull. I have found the tricked out Welborne 2A3 Moondogs to have AMAZING low end definition along with supreme articulation and detail thoughout the midrange and on up.

We like most of the same music jazz-wise (we depart in the indie area). I find 50s and 60s jazz to a be a SET strong suit, easily winnig over ANY push pull amp I have ever had in my system, although I have liked a good many. I know you have had a load of PP in your setup but was wondering how many SETs you have heard. I think acoustic jazz is just amazing via good SET, so amazing that it is the main reason I stay with it as some vintage push pull sounds damn good with indie and more challenging rock.

I know you happen to favor Art Pepper and John Lewis. That John Lewis "2 Degrees East, 3 Degrees West" sounds positively amazing through the Cornwalls and Moondogs. Early Sarah Vaughan/Billie Holiday/Ella-Joe Pass is simply chill inducing via a good SET. Even though I love good push pull, I cant find myself staying with it for too long in my main system as acoustic instruments/vocals just are MADE for the Single-Ended triode done well.

The difference in the transparency, openness, extension, all with a complete lack of grain is amazing. And the intimacy with the music is something you have to experience. But what is even more amazing as it is not some audiophile "Detail machine" without soul. A good SET still sounds musical. This is a hard combination to find these days. To me, the McIntosh gear sounds more like an amplifier. That was the inititial magic that first pulled me into SET. I had never heard something sound so close to being not there.... Push-Pull tubes sound grainy in comparison (relatively speaking).

mc-240.jpg

Still, McIntosh are some of the most beautiful amps around (the model above is a bit rough...and I'm not always a fan of the lettering although it can have a retro appeal). And damn if they dont make your precious tubes last quite awhile.

kh

ps-I believe there are different wiring options with the 240 as well. Like the EICO HF-81, they are like having two amps in one chassis. Splitting them is better but someone correct me if wrong here.

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 07-01-2002 at 03:29 PM

The first SET amps I "auditioned" in my home were the Moth 2a3 amps set up as mono-blocks--(I think these can be had as Stereo amps as well)--I think the retail price on these were about $3000 for the pair. The second set of amps were the Cary SE300B monoblocks--these were WAY more expensive if I recall--somewhere around $7500/pair maybe?

As you can see, my experience is rather limited, but this is what I remember hearing. The 2A3 amps had the most lush midrange of any amp I've ever heard--TOO lush for my tastes, overly romantic. The bass was simply NOT THERE when compared to the McIntosh MC30s. I loved the sound at first but after 3-4 days I switched back to the old MACs and is was like going home--everything sounded "right" again--crisp clean upper mids and trebles and a rock-solid bottom end.

The Cary amps were another kettle of fish altogether.

These amps had all of the Set "magic" the true believers have been screaming about for the last few years. The were fast, CLEAN, transparant, lush (but not bloated), had adequate bass and PLENTY of power-- they were the best amps I've ever heard in my system. BUT THEY COST OVER SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS! They weren't THAT MUCH BETTER than the MC30's in which I have about 6 hundred dollars INCLUDING the GEC KT-66s and U52s!

So, if I had a pile of money for new amps I'd really have to consider the Carys (or maybe something like them), but for now I'm happy with what I've got!

By the way, have you ever really done any careful listening with the MC30? It's the real cream of the vintage McIntosh crop. I suggest you give them a serious listen with KT-66s and U52s if you get the chance. You might even like them!

Mike,

If you can get it for a good price I would go for it even if you re-sell it.

Some of my buys/sells have made it possible to make comparisons which I still use in evaluation of components. If you make a good buy and don't like the sound and you can sell at a profit it seems to be a no brainer.

I bought a whole Mac system from a guy, MC-2105 power amp, C-32 preamp and MR-78 tuner. I ended up selling the amp and preamp, made a small profit and kept the tuner.

I have never had any Mac tube gear in my system but I would like to give it a listen.

Mike, I've had a 240 hooked up to my Cornwalls and the sound was wonderful. I'll defer to Allen since he's been a long-time owner. I've also owned an MC-30 which I mated to the Belle, and have driven the Cornwalls with an MC-2105.

All in all, I like McIntosh -- for sentimental reasons as well. Sound was pretty transparent for both tubes and SS. I think the tube selection (as always) influences the sound greatly.

I still prefer the montage of the Eico HF-81 over the McIntoshes I've owned. The music just sounds complete and wonderful in a way that I've never heard in an amp before.

------------------

"Bullsh*t!"

-PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

Eico HF-81

Eico HFT-90

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (KCBR's & ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD