Advice on Subwoofer

Ufanco

I am in the process of upgrading my current system and wanted some thought feedback on subwoofer. Planning on going with a 7.1 setup using Klipsch Quartets front mains, Academy center and Klipsch KG 1.2 surround and rear powered by a denon 3802. Room size is 20' by 15'. This system in used mostly for home theater, but I still want it to sound nice when I occasionly listen to music. Currently considering a SVS sub either the 25-31 pci or there new one the 25-31 pci plus. Does anyone have any thoughts comments on this brand of subs? Will a 25-31 be large enough to keep up with other speakers? Will the 25-31 be to small for the room size ect? I would like to go with the 20-39 svs but with already having to convince the other half that "we" need 2 more speakers for rear surround, I am not sure if the ideal of that large of a sub will go over very well.

I have heard only good things about SVS.

I plan to get two SVS ultra's for my HT to be. you should get teh most bang for the buck with SVS, low hz at high spl. whether or not that particular sub would match yoru speakers, i can not say, but i can say pretty confidently that any SVS sub you get you will be happy with. right now they are having a summer sale, super cheap.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

IMO, you need the subwoofer more than you need the sixth and seventh surround speakers. I would make a high quality subwoofer a priority in your system. That's where you get the larger-than-life impact from movies.

I recommend purchasing the best single sub you can get your hands on. The 25-31 pci+ should be adequate in your system. If you can deal with the 8" taller, the 20-39 will go lower. If you want to really be sure, get a single Ultra.

You should talk to the folks at SVS (Tom and Ron). They will give you "straight talk" - even to the extent of talking other brands of subs vs. SVS. If you can deal with the cylinders, SVS is the value champ in subs - it's difficult to get more low end for your dollar.

If WAF (wife appreciation factor) is a problem, and you can't deal with the cylinders, there are many other options with a good reputation on this forum - Klipsch RSW and Velo HGS are very good, but more money. Also worth considering are the HSU VTF-3 ($849) and the Paradigm PW-2200 (about $700), closer in cost to the SVS. All are "cube" subs.

For the ultimate in WAF, the Sunfire Signature is the way to go - about $1500 or so. It's about 13" square, with big output.

For more detailed comparisons, search in the powered subwoofers area of this forum for posts by "theear". He's our resident "subhuman" and has used many of these. He's done many writeups and comparisons on these and other subs on this forum.

One final comment: get the most sub you can afford - the highly efficient, dynamic Klipsch demand a good subwoofer. I made the mistake of underpurchasing on my first sub. Good subbage isn't cheap - but most certainly worthwhile. Hopefully this helps you get started.

Good luck!

------------------

Klipsch Cornwall II's (mains) - Klipsch Academy (center channel) - Klipsch Chorus (surrounds)

Krell Home Theater Standard processor - Outlaw 750 Amplifier (5x165)

Bass Kit: 2 JBL 4638 LFE/Bass Reinforcement cabinets - Crown CE 1000 amplifier - Behringer Feedback Destroyer (Bass EQ)

Sources: Pioneer DV-333 - 2 Aiwa ADF-850 3 head cassette decks - General Instruments cable box - Panasonic VHS PV-4459 - Digital Audio Labs CardDeluxe (computer sound)

f> c> s>

With the system you've described, you might do quite nicely with the HSU Research VTF-2. The VTF-3 is excellent, but the additional cost is not justified in this case, IMHO.

You can order direct from HSU Research. Or, if you're willing to sniff around for good deals, might be able to find one used. Price new is in the $450 range, and it is an excellent value at that price.

------------------

Mike - Livonia, MI

Klipsch RF-3 L/R

Klipsch RC-3 Center

Klipsch RB-5 rears

HSU Research VF-2 Sub

Marantz SR-19EX receiver

Marantz MM-9000 Amp

NAD T550 DVD

Adcom GCD 700 CD

This message has been edited by whell on 07-03-2002 at 11:25 AM

dndphishin said:

Good subbage isn't cheap - but most certainly worthwhile. Hopefully this helps you get started.

Aren't you wistling dixie?!? My REL Storm III subwoofer set me back a good $2K, but I don't regret it the least bit. I absolutely love that subwoofer! That being said, I'll agree with what has been said here already and still say definitly check out the SVS subs at the very least. Even Klipsch's own RSW line is very good (especially the two higher-end models, the RSW-12 and RSW-15), but pricey. However, I did audition both of those RSW subwoofers along with the REL and for a little more money, I felt I getter a better sub in the REL (in a gorgeous cherry cabinet).

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)