RP-5 or RF-3 II + KSW 12?

htnewbie

For my home theater set-up I have already decided on the RC-3 II for the center channel and the RS-3 IIs for surrounds. Should I go with RP-5 in the front or a combination of RF-3 IIs and a KSW-12 sub? I will use this set-up for 90% home theater and 10% music... and I like a lot of bass. My room dimensions are approximately 13' x 18'. Any thoughts from folks who have experience with both types of speakers would be appreciated. Thanks.

I agree with trespasser, only I would opt for a different subwoofer. I love Klipsch but their KSW line of subwoofers are boomy. I could never get my KSW-12 to blend right w/my KSF8.5's. I now own RF-3II's(KLF-30's being shippedcwm17.gif) and I could only imagine how hard a time I'd have getting it to sound right.

IMHO their are better subs for the money. My first choice of sub would be one of the offerings from SVS. If you can't get over the tube look I would take a look at the Adire Rava.

Another excellent choice is the Infinity IL100, I did a direct comparision in my room with the KSW-12 and IL100 and the Infinity easily wins, cleaner and depper bass with more kick. The Infinity Interlude are probably the most musical sub's I've heard under $500, they are also more musical than some subs cost much more as well. Don't pay CC's prices though, they can be had much cheaper on the net. I bought some refurb'd Il120's(12" version) for a little over $300 shipped from ebay.

------------------

FABULOUSFRANKIE

Thanks for the replies. fabfrankie - it's funny you should mention the SVS subs, becuase I ordered one yesterday before I read your post. Great minds think alike. Based on your advice and many others on this site, I chose not to go with the RP-5s and bought the RF-3IIs and a separate SVS sub instead.

SVS makes some great subs. I've tried a 20-39CS Plus with my RF-3II's and it sounded phenomenal. Now I have the CS Ultra(w/TV-12) and it sounds even better. I also picked up two of the original CS drivers people were selling over at www.hometheaterforum.com and I plan on building two 16-46 clones to sit next to my Ultra. Oh yeah, did I mention this is going in my bedroom(KLF-30's will be in there soon as well).cwm26.gif

------------------

FABULOUSFRANKIE

This message has been edited by fabulousfrankie on 07-10-2002 at 12:00 PM

quote:

Originally posted by htnewbie:

Thanks for the replies. fabfrankie - it's funny you should mention the SVS subs, becuase I ordered one yesterday before I read your post. Great minds think alike. Based on your advice and many others on this site, I chose not to go with the RP-5s and bought the RF-3IIs and a separate SVS sub instead.

Excellent choice. Smile.gif

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: Panasonic TX-36P500X (36" Direct View 16:9)

A/V Receiver: Marantz SR9200

DVD Player: Arcam DV88

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: Dual SVS CS-Ultras w/Samson S1000 amplifier