Pls recommend AVR for RF-82s

Steely Dan

I'm running RF-7 mains and an RC-7 center in my front-projection home theater in a huge 8000 cubic foot basement room (nearly 50' at longest point), and I just went through the process of researching AVR's. I wanted something that:

• Has plenty of power
  • Has pre-outs for later adding external amplification
  • Has the latest Audessy MultiEQ XT32 calibration
  • Has Audessy SubEQ for calibrating my dual subwoofers
  • Sounds great!
I was wanting to stay below $1000, and I was primarily shopping on Accessories4less.com since I had bought a couple refurbished AVR's in the past, and both times they had been indistinguishable from new.

I had narrowed my choices down to (prices all from Accessories4less.com):

$999 - Denon 4311ci

$799 - Denon AVR x4000

$649 - Onkyo TX-NR818

All three AVR's get rave reviews, but I was initially leaning towards one of the Denon's since I run dual subs (Velodyne DLS-5000R & SVS 20-39) and the Denon's both have MultEQ XT32 & SubEq, while the Onkyo has the XT32 but lacks the SubEq. But after researching the issue further, it seems like SubEq isn't really necessary, even for dual subs, and the XT32 is the really important thing.

I ended up picking the Onkyo since it has gotten great reviews for its powerful and refined sound and its muscular, well-designed amplifier section, and it was significantly less expensive than the other two. I also read from some Klipsch owners that the 818 has a "warmer" / less-bright sound that goes great with Klipsch horn speakers. As a bonus, the 818 also has top-notch video processing that many owners rave about, particularly for processing sub-par sources such as over-compressed cable/satellite feeds.

I would have ordered from Accessories4less, but when I called OneCall, they offered me a brand-new sealed unit with the full 2-year warranty for the same $649 w/free shipping, so I jumped on it. It should arrive today, and I can't wait to hook it up.

1s.jpg

Edgar can you give some feedback on your new avr purchase? I'm looking at the same avr's and have the same speaker setup so feedback on your purchase and the sonic sig these receivers give to the music especially would be helpful. I've had a rotel avr for some time and although I've been fairly happy with this combo it's not perfect. I went with a yamaha originally and for my ears it was a bad match with the rf7' with two ch. I sold it straight away.

Edgar can you give some feedback on your new avr purchase? I'm looking at the same avr's and have the same speaker setup so feedback on your purchase and the sonic sig these receivers give to the music especially would be helpful. I've had a rotel avr for some time and although I've been fairly happy with this combo it's not perfect. I went with a yamaha originally and for my ears it was a bad match with the rf7' with two ch. I sold it straight away.

I've got the 818 hooked up, but I've been able to spend very little time in my home theater since I've had quite a bit going on here lately. I will be sure to post my thoughts once I've been able to spend some quality time down there.

Edited by Edgar_in_Indy

• 3 years later...
8 minutes ago, rasein said:

Hi - I am setting up 7.1 home theater system, got the Receiver TX-NR656 from BestBuy and planning to use two RF82 II floor speakers, please let me know if the Speakers will over kill the receiver and i dont want to ruin the speakers & receiver or do i need to buy different receiver for the speakers.

Welcome to the forum! Best Buy should have covered this but yes, you should be good to go, as the Klipsch are efficient and are you doing sound surround sound with Klipsch or other. Music a question? Are your 82's new? Either way, just do not overdrive everything with the volume to anywhere near distorting sound. Alright, enough with the 3rd degree. 

Room size, setup and other factors but you have time for that and more, if you do not know already.Congrats and enjoy...:emotion-21:

1 hour ago, rasein said:

Hi - I am setting up 7.1 home theater system, got the Receiver TX-NR656 from BestBuy and planning to use two RF82 II floor speakers, please let me know if the Speakers will over kill the receiver and i dont want to ruin the speakers & receiver or do i need to buy different receiver for the speakers.

The Onk 656 at best will be 100 wpc in stereo, with seven speakers much less than that.  The RF-82's have power handling of 150 wpc.  The RF-82's are in no way overkill.  In fact if you want a little more oomph they could benefit from an external amp.  

I have an Onk 717 which is 7.2 and love the Onk sound.  I think it will be a good match for your 7.1 system with Klipsch RF-82's for L/R.  My favorite setup was 5.1 using the L/R in bi-amp mode, it's a more dynamic sound when the AVR is not trying to drive 7 speakers. 

If you don't have all matched speakers it's OK because the Onk does a good job of making them all play nice together.

• Thanks 1