John Warren updat to Type AA xovers is nice sounding!

raburns

I think you like what you're hearing mostly because it's different.

Yes, the "difference factor" applies to my networks too, but this is a case of where different really is better.

Not sure how to interpret but let's drop it.

And, I still like the blue one, it sounds better.

Edited by John Warren

"Basically you converted your crossover to an AK-3."

Minus the elliptical filter on the tweeter (which I dislike).

I do like the AK3 woofer filter.

"leaving the tweeter connection off of Tap 5 or moving it to input."

If they were closer in time, the tap 5 connection would be correct (a group delay issue). I prefer the tweeter filter connected to the input, except for a type A, which I feel needs the protection of the 400hz roll-off of the mid crossover. The quality of the mid capacitor is very important with the tap 5 connection.

PWK used a high Q filter on the K55V in the LB76, similar to the blue curve (cannot be directly compared because the LB76 used the K500 horn and no autoformer).

Edited by djk

How do we define "quality". I used to build these filters with PPT Thetas at that position and always thought the midrange sounded thin and flat (though they sound awesome in tweeter filters). I finally threw in the towel and started using "crappy" paper in oils and the sound becomes fat and rich. I then quit using paper in oils because "DF is terrible", "Q is horrendous", "ESR is unacceptable", etc. At some point you really just have to place some level of trust in what you're hearing.

I want a 2 inch horn, but I do not really want to remove a top hat support leg like I've seen done, got any ideas gentlemen?

It's not a problem, the leg can simply be moved over a little and re-attached. The reason it needs to be moved or removed with the V-Trac horn is because of the size of that particular horn. It is quite a large horn. FYI, the brackets on the back of the V-Trac horn act as braces to replace the one Klipsch brace that is removed, so you really don't need to worry about losing that one brace.

In my opinion, and also the opinion of a hundred Volti customers, the 2" throat horn and the 2" outlet BMS 4592 driver is a vast improvement over the stock 1" throat horn. I don't know why anyone would not go to a 2" horn when upgrading the Khorn midrange horn.

One of the unique features of the V-Trac horn is that you can use it with a Volti adapter and the stock K55 drivers at first, and save money initially. Then later upgrade to the bigger and better mid drivers without having to change horns.

We just built 2"-throat horn #335 - a little to my surprise frankly. I thought the Klipsch upgrades business would have run the course by now, but sales are steady.

Greg