La Scala pics (before and after)

I did about 9 hours of comparing these speakers the day before Mike came over. I swapped out networks & even drivers. I tried an Altec 288 driver with the 805B horn and an Altec network, making the University a 2-way. The 288 & 805B makes for a very nice midrange, the best of the bunch, but it lacks a little in the high end. It needs a tweeter. So, I hooked up the University tweeter, a JBL Pro tweeter, and the Klipsch K-77 with it. The K-77 sounded the best, it's a great tweeter. I put the Altec & JBL stuff away before Mike came over, so he didn't hear them.

When Mike came I had Al's (ALK) network in one of Mike's LaScalas and Mike's AL network in the other one. I also had the stock University hooked up to the speaker B switch on the amp. and the LaScala on the A switch. Speaker A & B were fed by the right channel from a CD player. So we were listening to the same signal when we switched back and forth between the speakers using the A B switch. You can hear instant differences this way.

My mistake was to first let Mike compare the University and his LaScala. I felt bad about this, but that's how I left if hooked up from the night before. It was easier to start the demo from where I left off.

I'll let Mike give his impressions from here. You heard it from me before.

Someday I may have to let him compare the Jensen Imperial.

Oh yes, thanks for the kind words on the finish work. I'll never strip another LaScala again. I would build one first.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

Mike, those little LaScalas look pretty good in forn of those Khorns, Q did a gret job refinishing them even the wife is happy to hear that you did not redo them in black, how do they sound compared to the Chorus now that you have them home?

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!

Mike,

It took a lot of time to strip and sand inside the "V" area/doghouse. Mt hands don't even fit in the back of it. I had to make some crude tools to reach in there. Strippig is also very messy work.

It really would have taken me less time to build one.

If it was a raw pair it would have been alot easier.

Mike Lindsey will be posting some more pictures that show how really bad these cabinets were. The before pictures here are after they were already stripped and sanded.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man