Fisher 800C is Home!

Gregorius

Greetings Gentlemen,

My Fisher 800C Receiver is home after a long vacation (for me) at the local tech. He charged $125 for the repair and the ebayer is splitting the cost. The tech did some work on the power supply, loose connections, cleaned pots, and tube sockets. I have it hooked up to my LaScala's and wow! what a difference it makes over my SS amp.

It is not as harsh on the high end, smoother mids, and still plenty of bass, maybe as much as my SS. Excellent imaging, and also dead quiet. My SS amp always made a hissing sound when you placed your ear on the tweeter, which I attributed to the sensitive Klipsch speakers. The Fisher does not even with the source paused and the volume turned up.

The Fisher is full of smoothplate Telefunken 12AX7's that test well, some Fisher made in Great Britain (Mullards?) and Westinghouse 7591's.

Thanks to all on this board who have touted the virtues of tube amplification, maybe there is some truth to this SET thing!

Maybe Moondogs someday? Biggrin.gif

------------------

HK AVR20 II

Toshiba DVD

32" Toshiba TV

Odyssey Stratos

1976 LaScala's Front L&R

KV-1 Center

KG 1.5 Rear L&R

KSW-12 Sub

This message has been edited by Gregorius on 07-09-2002 at 03:45 PM

Enjoy! I have a 500C that I've owned for about 25 years that still powers my "third" (ahem, garage) system and I love it. Gets great FM reception and delivers everything a nice vintage tube amp should.

These receivers are dirt cheap even in todays crazy ebay market for how much they offer.

Congrats from another 500C owner. Even though mine is currently being used as a Tuner only, I occasionally hook it up in the main system as the power amp, and find the same reaction as you.

Enjoy!

jobman

------------------

Cornwalls (borrowed from Jazman - THANKS)

Chorus II's

Wright Sound 2A3 Monoblocks

Wright WPA-20 PreAmp

Jolida 602A CD

Thorens TD-165

Silverline Speaker Cables

Various Monster Interconnects.