sub in ceiling.

Taz

Drivers can be more prone to driver sag as well as mechanical over-excursion if you dont have the correct T/S parameters.

Never seen T/S parameters for sag (maybe I mis-read your comment?).

Over excursion is normally caused by the driver unloading from sending it a signal below the tuning frequency of the box or too much wattage. That could happen no matter where the sub is located.

When a sub is inverted, the spider and cone will sag more or less depending on materials, weight and design of the driver. If the driver sags, it is already expending some of its mechanical travel which means it will need less power to reach mechanical limits which can also affect its accuracy.

I had looked into doing a sono-sub at one point and the sono-sub calculator takes into account a drivers T/S and tuning if any to let you know if a sub is a good candidate or not for a down-firing position. I can't pretend to know the full math behind it all but driver sag isn't a new theory. Look at a lot of the old vertical woofers, some have sagged and need to be turned 180 degrees. Drivers can't defeat gravity forever! It's been a bunch of months since i last looked at the sono-sub program because i bought my SVS subs and no longer needed to worry about a DIY project.

Edited by SuBXeRo

I had looked into doing a sono-sub at one point and the sono-sub calculator takes into account a drivers T/S and tuning if any to let you know if a sub is a good candidate or not for a down-firing position.

Yes, you can use TS parameters in a calculation to see if the driver is prone to sag or not but I thought you were saying that there is a specific T/S parameter just for sag.

If calculated sag is more than 5% of the drivers Xmax (1 way linear travel) it's not suitable for horizontal mounting.

Edited by CECAA850

So. Don't fire it down. Suspend a folded horn in the rafters and open the mouth through the ceiling. Inverted version of mounting your sub in the basement and firing it through the floor. Build a proper grill and most might not even notice it there.

• Like 1

I was thinking along the lines of an Infinite Baffle as it is a long crawl through a small opening at the other end of the house. The less fabrication in the attic the better. Maybe I should consider mounting the drivers as in a normal speaker into a box with a 45 degree angle to bounce the wave into the living room?

Somewhat like mustang guy shows in his first photo. I think the second photo would totally overwhelm my system. However?????????? :unsure:

Does that second photo have 9 or 12 drivers?

John

Edited by Taz

You have to cut a hole in the ceiling anyways. You could do a little bit of Preplanning and a lot of measuring and maybe do a rough out frame with some blind nuts that allows you ( and some friends) to lift a loaded infinite baffle through the ceiling and fasten it in.