Which receiver

loudandclear

Hi all,wondering if anyone can tell me if a Marantz 2220b would be a good pairing with klipschorns?

Yes.

Also looking at a Sansui 9090. Thanks.

Probably a better option if you want more gusto, but definitely not necessary to drive your Khorns.

Bill

Thats what i figured theres a gentleman that has each for sale and i have two pair of Khorns so i was going to maybe get both and put one on each pair. Didn't know if the little Marantz would be big enough for bottom end. I have never heard either one before so am somewhat excited about it!

I don't know about the khorn / sansui part of the equation, except to say make sure you put new Crite caps on your xo network for your Klipsch heritage gear. It made a night and day difference for my heresy's when I first got them. After putting in new caps, they sound just like new.

I have a fully restored 2226b running my heresy and it sounds great. That being said, I recently picked up a 2270 that has some issues and I think it sounds (and looks) better than the 2226B. 26 watts per vs 70 watts, the 70 sports a nicer wood case / blackout faceplate and the tuner seems slightly more sensitive than the 2226B.

So, all else being equal (both units in good condition, aesthetics) I would probably opt for the sansui.

I am sure the Khorn crowd will be all over this.

Edited by holtrp

Ok, both are said to be in great condition. All original never opened Sansui. Marantz had phono section updated/fixed. In your opinion which do you think will sound better? I totally understand this is subjective but i can't A/B them without buying both. Currently using Adcom GFA 555. Also both pair have Crites tweeters and caps.

Edited by loudandclear

Sight unseen, gun to head - Sansui.

Why? It weighs twice as much, is rated for 6x the output over the Marantz and it is NIB.

Buy both and sell the one you don't want. Ebay has a sansui 9090 with 35 bidders for $350 and the 2220 has 0 bidders at $160, so as long as you are ballpark $500 for both, I think it is a decent deal.

Ah... I would still pick the sansui for the other two reasons. Plus, it just looks like a sweet unit with that big heat sink off the back, duel radio signal meters and output meters compared to the lonely signal strength meter on the Marantz.

One more bit of advice. You might call around and see if you have a local tech that can work on these. I personally have never come across a 35 year old receiver that comes out of storage without some issues. My 2270 was in "great condition". Unfortunately, something on the speaker protection circuit wasn't letting it power up properly and the right channel is failing, so now it is sitting on the bench and will probably cost $200-$300 to get restored. But same situation, had to buy it sight unseen, and $100 was worth the risk to me. Make him lower the price significantly if he won't let you demo the gear or be prepared to take it to a tech for some work.

Fortunately I am able to demo both pieces.I would like a Marantz receiver but maybe this is not "the one'. Will probably score the Sansui for sure but being he has both was trying to score both, but if 2220 isn't going to be enough power will proly pass on it.

Any prices been thrown around?

Bill

I would say yes. Plan on spending some money to troubleshoot & repair either or both of these units. There are a few things you can do upfront though.

First thing I do when I buy one of these vintage receivers before even powering it up is pull off the case and either vacuum or use compressed air to blow off all the accumulated dust. You would be surprised what ends up in there. I found some keys off a old keyboard rattling around once. You can use a clean rag, q-tips and a small amount of denatured alcohol to get anything grimy off.

Then I will put the case back on and start testing all the inputs / outputs for function. Make notes of what works and what doesn't.

Unplug and pull the case back off, pull off all knobs and buttons, pull off the face plate off and the tuner dial and replace fuse style light bulbs if necessary. Really isn't too many screws and parts to these things, but keep it all organized. This is a good time to replace the defuser paper on the back of the dial face plate. I use baking paper. Good time to clean the plastic with windex inside & out, Dust out the front cover. Brasso aluminum polish and a rag will get that silver faceplate shining again.

Sansui looks similar, so all the buttons, petentiometers, switches or anything else with mechanical electrical contact gets hit with deoxit at this point and cycled multiple times. You can also hit the RCA / headphone jacks with deoxit and q tips.

This is about as far as I go. I simply don't have the time to learn about electrical schematics and soldering well enough to replace electrolytic capacitors or fine tune anything else on these machines by myself. That is what I pay the tech $95 per hour to do. The most I have done is cut out and solder on a new speaker terminal output block from radio shack.

If you show up to a decent tech, half-way sounding like you know what you are talking about by handling the basic cleaning and doing the troubleshooting, it should save them some time and you some money so they can get directly at fixing the real problem(s).

Edited by holtrp

Crackling, static, popping, smoke / burning smell, lamp flutters, blown fuse (usually on the back panel, though if it doesn't power up for the demo, you might be able to get a real bargain). Not sure about the sansui, but when you power up the marantz, about 1 - 2 seconds after you should hear the speaker protection relay clearly click in.

Be through, be methodical and take your time. Make sure when you are listening to make full use of ALL of the buttons and knobs with each input / output. While doing this, be sure to check each channel separately by running the balance right and then left.

For example, you might have static or signal loss on Tape 1 on the left channel when you turn up the treble but then some crackling on the right channel when you goose the bass our engage the loudness button. If you are lucky, point out these little defects to the seller and see if he will drop the price. You may be able to fix it with a little cleaning using deoxit, it doesn't necessarily mean something has gone bad.

Generally, if a speaker or channel is out, it is out for good until you get new components soldered on, so be sure to check both the main and remote speaker outputs.

Again, gun to head, I would probably pass on the 2220B. Then again, if he only wants $50 I know I could sell that sucker for at least $75 and perhaps more regardless of what condition it is in on craigs.

Seems like a fair price the 9090... depending on function. Also remember, good wood case adds value, Try and beat him up on price with lamps that don't work, crackling when turning the pot controls, etc. These are literally sometimes $2 fixes that will take at most an hour of your time.

Beyond that, I would seriously find a old Marantz / Sansui tech locally and get an opinion from him. They will know way more than me of what to look for and cost of repairs.

No, If you have the chance to power it up and check it out before buying it and you are satisfied with everything or comfortable that any defects you can either live with or are willing to get repaired, you should be able to use it as long as you like before servicing it.

I have bought some really dirty, rough looking stuff that I was too afraid to turn on and mess with for fear of the equipment catching fire. If that is the case, I would give the guy $20 and get it all cleaned up before powering it on. But if it looks like it is in reasonably good shape, you don't have to get it serviced. Re-capping it just like recapping your crossovers on the K horns should make it sound just like new though as the electrolytic caps dry out and muddy up the sound.

Let me know how it goes and good luck!

Tons of info on the web too:

http://www.irebuildmarantz.com/restoration/2225.html

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207005

Edited by holtrp