I need a doctor

Randy Bey

40 lashes for not liking John Coltrane!!!

Actually, I will forgive anyone who doesn't like the output from the last couple of years of Coltrane's life, but this mid to late 50's stuff is both mind-blowing and accessible!

Plus Red Garland is a piano god.

Give it a listen!

I love Coltrane's stuff in the 60s too. GREAT stuff! Man, I dont know why you dont like Coltrane! He did a lot more experimentation with harmonics but much of thie era is first rate.

There is so much great jazz from the mid 50s to the mid 60s, it's almost staggering. I dont think anything had come close to it since then.

Allan is a big Art Pepper fan and he kind of came into his own later on. But the bulk of the great recordings happened in the 50s to mid -60s. If anyone even halfway considers themself a jazz fan, they owe it to themselves to give this stuff a good listen. Sometimes the best things take awhile to sink in.

kh

This is a serious post and a recommendation for everyone here-

Get your hearing checked.

The problem you may be getting is hearing loss. Klipsch speakers can easily play loud enough to cause permenant hearing loss- especially at close range for prolonged periods.

I had my hearing checked in my early 20's as part of an in-depth physical and had minor loss in my left ear. I IMMEDIATELY turned down my music. This hearing loss may have been temporary (my hearing actually seems better now), but it scared the hell out of me.

I know this post sucks to hear, but after decades of abuse, your hearing might be suffering.

It is better to get it checked than to neglect it- it's cheap and there are treatments for some cases. You can enjoy your music for much longer and actually understand conversations as a bonus.

Best wishes to all

Larry

This message has been edited by lne937s on 07-10-2002 at 06:56 PM

Thanks for the tip, Larr! Unfortunately, no matter how much poor Randall denies it, I doubt his 8 watts of 300B glory will lead to hearing loss. A smoother tube is quite hard to find although he has managed to find the most unappealing 300B I know of...still, again, I dont think Mr. Hearing Aid is thy Randosis' ticket to nirvana....

Although you might be on to something. Randy, how HAVE you been listening to that KR300B?

kh

ps-Lar, I want to see the 2x4 equipment rack you spoke of!

Mobile-

I mean the hearing loss statement with the best of intentions. In addition to loud audio, there are also many other causes of hearing loss- some of them will get worse if not treated. Hearing aids aren't the only treatments. A smooth tube amp is much less of a probable culprit than a 200w/ch solid state going to 98db sensitive speakers 10ft from the listening area, but getting your hearing checked can't hurt anyway. With all the money we spend on producing sound, I think it's reasonable to spend a little on the receptors.

Actually, my platform bed is made out of 2X4's. All my AV gear is on various shelves of a laminated particle board computer desk (no computer- I got it for free) lengthwise to the room, directly behind the listening area with the CRT projector mounted on top (even more tacky). The seperate shelves let everything cool well, and having it directly behind me let's me reach behind to turn the dials on my '70's amp and tuner- made before remote control. Also, being behind me helps open up airspace for the front soundstage and makes room for the projector's image up front. the speaker cable is only about 12ft long( small apartment- too narrow to mount the projector shooting across it), so the sound really doesn't suffer from increased cable resistance that much.

The original setup on this post looks like it would sound great, I really have no cheap suggestions other than maybe room treatments.

Larry

This message has been edited by lne937s on 07-11-2002 at 11:11 AM

Randy,

Do you have a good mutual conductance tube tester? If so, test all your tubes.

Also, check all your connections (speaker, IC, etc.)Use Caig ProGold on all plated connections!

I assume your system did sound great to you in the past.

Don't worry about poor power quality. Most of that crap is marketing BS as long as you have good power supplies in your equipment. During the July 4th heatwave in NY, the voltage dipped to 115V (normally 122V) and my system never sounded better!

I have not heard your blue glass KR 300B's but I own KR 300BXLS' which sound very, very good. Not like a Western Electric 300B but much better than Cetron, Sovtek, Svelanta & all that Chinese junk. The ceramic base ElectroHarmonix are also excellent. My KR's are very robust sounding in the lows & highs. In the midrange, you can't beat a vintage WE 300B. The KR 2A3, in my opinion, are not good sounding triodes, though.

Use some common sense (think outside the box) and some Q-tips may help (a joke, Ha-Ha). For instance, if it has been very dry in your area, check your ground connection in the earth. Pour a bucket of water on the grounding rod outside & see your grounding conductivity improve! Don't laugh, just think about it!

If your system sounded good to you in the past, it can sound good to you in the future!

Good Luck & happy listening,

Pete