Low voltage at an outlet

ryanm84

The meter was the problem. I grabbed a new one and had no issues. I had no reason to believe that the old one wouldn't read correctly.

Good exercise for me to get this squared away and give some confidence that my electronics aren't at risk and that I don't have an immediate risk in the house in general.

Thanks all for your ideas and input. Really helped narrow down the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

it sounds like you are measuring a circut that has a very long run with undersized wire and that circut already has a load. so what everyone has said...but also..measure the circut again with no load...pop the breaker and see what shuts off...go and unplug those items...retest with no load...then test with the treadmill plugged in. question that needs to be answered is to find the cuase of the voltage drop which is apprently being aggrivated by undersize wire for the lengths involved. I just bought 250ft of 10/4 and replaced almost as much 14/3, 12/3, for the same reason. when using ?/3 the neutral is shared across both legs which means your current ccapacity is actually 20% less.....so 14/3 is 14 guage if you only use the red or black and the white but if you use both the red and the back, the white can not handle current for both the red and the black so you get a very large voltage drop becuase of this...and the circut behaves like 16 guage becuase the while can not handle the current of 2 14 guage circuts.

to furthur illustrate...I put in 10/4 for a generator transfer box and most folks would wire dual 30 amp breakers for this....but since we are sharing a nuetral, the correct breakers is dual 25 amp breakers. beyond 25 amps on my neutral lead i will start to heat up the cable and get signigicant voltage drops. If i was only useing the red or the black with the white, I could have used a 30 amp breaker.

so basically, depending how far from the mains you are, and the type of run, you might be exceeeding the current capability of the neutral even though the breaker does not pop becuase the wrong size breaker was put in for circuts that include a red and a black sharing the same neutral wire. the breaker would have been fine for the same wire size if only a black or red was being used.

Edited by speakerfritz