Ohm spec for the KG-4

kortum

I'm trying to determine where I should set my ohm switch on my receiver - I just got a pair of ss-1's, an SC-1 and a KSW-10 to use with my KG-4's serving as fronts. All of the new speakers are rated at 8 ohms, but the tech specs posted on this site list the KG-4's as 6 ohm. All of the other KG series show an 8 ohm rating. Is the site in error? What is the true rating for the KG-4? Right now I've set the selectoor to the "at least 6 ohm" setting, rather than the "at least 8 ohm" Any help is greatly appreciated!

kortum - The web site is not in error. My KG4s are also marked 6 ohm. The way you have your receiver set should be fine.

Speaker impedances, as you probably know, vary all over the board during use, anyway. The rating is just a nominal figure, with reality ranging anywhere from about 1 ohm to 30 or 40 ohms during any particular piece of music.

Doug

------------------

My System

I will speak from memory here, how well it serves me is another story.Rolleyes.gif I believe KG4s were 6 Ohms for a few years and then were changed to 8 Ohms for the rest of their lives. Mine were manufactured at the end of 1989 and they are 6 Ohms.

As far as your switch goes, try it in both positions and see which sounds better. As long as you're not getting into the limits of what your receiver can do it should be fine. Watch for it running hot and listen for any signs of distortion.

-Scott

------------------

BobG modified Forte II's

KG-4 Surrounds

RC-3 Center

DIY Sub based on Adire Audio Shiva Woofer

Sony DB830