ifi subwoofer

mccrickerd

I have an old (obviously, since they're discontinued) ifi which has been working very well for the last year after not being used at all for probably 5 years. One day I turned it on and there was a horrible popping sound (without any audio being inputted to the system(. I've isolated the sound to the subwoofer (only one side). Is this something (a) that can be fixed and if it is something that can be fixed (B) is it worth fixing/possibly easy enough for someone who has never done anything electrical to fix?

thanks

Jennifer

Sounds to me like an amp issue. You could call Klipsch to see if they sell replacements. Next bet would be a used amp or used sub in eBay. Final thing would be just subwoofer replacement.

Welcome to the forum. This a great place full of good people and lots of knowledge. Except for maybe on the iFi speakers haha

I have an old (obviously, since they're discontinued) ifi which has been working very well for the last year after not being used at all for probably 5 years. One day I turned it on and there was a horrible popping sound (without any audio being inputted to the system(. I've isolated the sound to the subwoofer (only one side). Is this something (a) that can be fixed and if it is something that can be fixed ( B) is it worth fixing/possibly easy enough for someone who has never done anything electrical to fix?

thanks

Jennifer

When you turn on any amplifier always turn the preamp on first. Meaning turn your receiver on before you power your powered subwoofer on.

• 2 weeks later...

It may be a dirty relay since it hasn't been used for 5 years.....they cn be cleaned by popping off the plastic cover and sliding a piece of very fine sandpaper back and forth 3 or 4 times on both sides of all contatcts or buying a burnishing tool that is mad for this operation.