Audyssey MultiEQ XT32

etc6849

I've watched several older movies on my new Marantz AV8801 preamp and thought it improved the sound some as I didn't run Audyssey on my old AVR. After all, my system sounded great before without Audyssey...

However, finally, tonight I watched Wolverine on blu-ray and I'm floored at how great it sounds. The two RT-12d subs sound even tighter than before, and the four La Scala's even sound a tad more awesome. I'm not even using a center channel and it's the best sound I've heard. I have Audyssey set to flat though.

My biggest problem with Multi EQ XT when I tried it 5 years ago was the house curve it used made everything sound dull. Not so with XT32, and being able to individually calibrate the subs (the preamp has dual sub outputs) seems like it's helped the low end.

If that is your current setup in your avatar, it looks great. I have an LS based system too. Audyssey XT32 is indeed awesome.

You might consider painting the walls a darker color. You get a great deal of light reflecting from the screen on white walls. A person wearing white in a black theater will glow like a light bulb. I doubt you want to go to the trouble of changing to a darker carpet, but you can put a large dark throw rug between you and the projector screen to absorb light. On a projector screen, black is only as dark as the ambient light in the room. Therefore, the white needs to have more lumens to contract against that. The lighter grey the black actually is, the brighter the projector needs to be to make white.

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

Thanks :)The avatar is my current set up thanks to craigslist for the LS II's. I was using RF-83's, but the la scala's blow them away :) I really liked my RF-83's too, but I just don't know if I could go back after hearing the mid-range horn on the la scala's for voice.

I agree I'd see an improvement with painting. I may end up moving this next year, not sure right now.

PS: how big is your theater? I'm assuming two THT subs really sound great and keep up with the LS's?

Edited by etc6849

I just caught the upgrade bug and found the AV8801 really cheap on ebay. I think it'll go cheaper too once the HDMI 2.0 preamps come out. It may be worth waiting a year for prices to fall or to pick up an HDMI 2.0 unit.

Good review. My Denon 3808 is on the list to be upgraded and I have my eye on the Marantz 8801...