What are your Audyssey Settings and Preferences?

Zen Traveler

I'm curious what other Audyssey Users settings and experiences are. I will assume those posting have done Audyssey setup correctly and the reason I'm starting this thread is two-fold: 1) Although "all rooms are different," I am curious on how similar and/or different our comparative numbers and experiences are. 2) We all have different expectations and putting our thoughts in writing may help others who are setting up their Klipsch Home theaters using Audyssey.

These are my settings using the Denon AVR-4311ci in a 9.2 configuration with Heights and Rear speakers:

L RF-7 -8 @ 9.6 ft
R RF-7 -8.5 @ 9.5 ft
C RC-7 -8 @ 8.9 ft
LH RB-5 -5.5 @ 13 ft
RH RB-5 -4.5 @12.8 ft
SS RF-3 -9 @ 5.4 ft
SS RF-3 -11 @ 4.4 ft
RL RB-75 -5 @ 8.6 ft
RR RB-75 -5 @ 8.1 ft
Front RSW-12 -9 @7.9 ft
Rear RSW-15 -6.5 @ 10.6 ft

After running the sweeps I went in and raised the crossovers from 40 Hz on the RF-7s, RF-3s and RB-75s to 60 Hz and left the RC-7 at 80 Hz and the RB-5 Heights at 120 Hz where they were set. I also turned Dynamic Volume off and the Dymanic EQ on. Audyssey XT 32 seems to work best in my room and I found that I liked Dolby PLIIx better than Audysey DSX. The latter seemed to sound more echoey whereas PLIIx seems to raise the sound field. We watch movies within -5 to "0" and usually closer to Reference level (last movie was GI Joe @ -2). I also leave DEQ on for multichannel music and concerts and listen closer to -10 and DVD-A.SACD anywhere from -5 to -12 on the MV.

Anyone else?

Edited by tkdamerica

Thanks for posting. I listen to a lot of Multichannel music and have started watching concerts again--Those sources can have a lot of disparity on where I can comfortably listen on the Main Volume but my wife and I have watched Harry Potter Half-Blood Prince at -2.5 on the MV and I watched GI Joe there by myself as well.

I am curious at what volume others listen to material....

L RF-7 -8 @ 9.6 ft R RF-7 -8.5 @ 9.5 ft C RC-7 -8 @ 8.9 ft LH RB-5 -5.5 @ 13 ft RH RB-5 -4.5 @12.8 ft SS RF-3 -9 @ 5.4 ft SS RF-3 -11 @ 4.4 ft RL RB-75 -5 @ 8.6 ft RR RB-75 -5 @ 8.1 ft Front RSW-12 -9 @7.9 ft Rear RSW-15 -6.5 @ 10.6 ft

Tkdamerica,

Your Denon's Audyssey implementation looks to be pretty accurate based on the varying speaker distances. Your speaker volume settings vary proportionally to your speaker distances.

With that said, Audyssey is going to set your speaker's distances and volumes based on how the microphone reads them in your room. Remember Audyssey sets the volumes/delays based on when the sound arrives at the microphone. Take two rooms of the exact same size and one is heavily damped and the other is hard and "live", Audyssey readings can differ almost like night and day.

Bill

Edited by willland

DENON AVR-3312CI

CHANNEL LEVEL ( MAIN ZONE )

FL (1980 La Scala) Realy thought those -12.0dB settings would be a problem, but they are not.

-12.0 dB, 12.9 feet

FR (1980 La Scala)

-12.0 dB, 12.1 feet

C (Heresy II)

-10.0 dB, 10.4 feet

SW (RW-12d, km-rsw)

0.0 dB, 16.5 feet

FHL (kg3)

-5.0 dB, 15.4 feet

FHR (kg3)

-3.5 dB, 15.0 feet

FWL (Heresy II)

-8.5 dB, 11.0 feet

FWR (Heresy II)

-9.0 dB, 9.1 feet

SL (Heresy II)

-9.5 dB, 6.9 feet

SR (Heresy II)

-9.5 dB, 5.4 feet

SBL (kg1)

-6.5 dB, 5.6 feet

SBR (kg1)

-7.0 dB, 4.5 feet

Dynamic EQ ON

Dynamic Volume Evening (Turn On & Off, Depending on Source, et Cetera)

All Speakers set to Large, LFE+Main, LPF for LFE. 120Hz, Crossovers:

Front & Height 40Hz

Center, Surround, Surround Back & Wide 60Hz

My NAD's Audyssey MultEQ XT settings are:

L RF63 -10dB@10ft

C RC64 -8dB@12ft

R RF63 -10dB@10ft

LS RS35 -7dB @8ft

RS RS35 -7dB@9ft

Subs(MultEQ XT sets as one sub)

B15, SB13 Plus,RSW10d

-12dB@13ft

I have my subs running too hot from their internal volumes, hence the -12db max setting.

Movies between -22 and -18.

Stereo music -22

Multichannel music/BD concerts -24 to -20.

Audyssey "standard" curve for movies.

Audyssey "NAD" curve for all music.

Bill

Hmmm...-2.5 is pretty close to reference level and CRAZY loud if I do this over here.

I am running dual subwoofers ... Mighty SVS PB13 Ultra's

I can dig it. Our neighbors aren't that close and my guess the loud Music at a constant 80 to 95 dB more noticeable when they can hear it. I just got done watching a few scenes in the Movie, The Hurt Locker which I'd seen before at 2.5 on the MV and the peaks on my SPL meter were between 106 to 108. That said, I don't feel like watching the whole movie and will put in some tunes after I give my ears a rest.

Movies between -22 and -18.

Stereo music -22

Multichannel music/BD concerts -24 to -20.

Audyssey "standard" curve for movies.

Audyssey "NAD" curve for all music.

Bill

Thanks for posting Bill. I definitely understand folks not listening as loud as I do...That said, if you or anyone posting could also give some SPL Meter readings at your LP at the volume you listen. I am curious if our SPL readings also correspond with our Audyssey numbers. B)

Hey Gang, I just listened to some of my favorite Talking Heads songs on DVD-A and was wondering if anyone would post how loud they listen to any of these songs on either the Main Volume or SPL Meter with (or without) Audyssey engaged:

I have found between -10 to 12 perfect to achieve an (approx) 80 to 94 dB average and high:

Burning down the House (extended version: My ultimate showing off my system/take to other places disk.
Houses in Motion (The loudest and second favorite of songs tested at 94 dB peaks)
Once in a Lifetime, Listening Wind, Mommy Daddy You and I, Big Daddy, Sax and Violins, along with Take me to the River, were the ones I listened to this evening.

Of course if you have your favorites post those as well so I can go back and check them out.

DENON AVR-3312CI

Dynamic Volume Evening (Turn On & Off, Depending on Source, et Cetera)

All Speakers set to Large, LFE+Main, LPF for LFE. 120Hz, Crossovers:

Front & Height 40Hz

Center, Surround, Surround Back & Wide 60Hz

Hey Sancho P thanks for posting! I think I mentioned it before that you've tweaked your system quite uniquely and I understand why you do the "LFE + Main" thing. That said, I am curious if Audyssey saw your Front Height speakers being down to 40 Hz in that position? Fwiw, I have RB-5s up there and it set them as 120 Hz.

I would also be curious how loud on an SPL meter compared to a particular volume on the MV you listen to any particular material. I was sorta surprised that I listen to Multichannel Music at a pretty constant SPL verses the Main Volume number.

Edited by tkdamerica

sure, I understand the LFE+Main; and if Forum Member Craig List leaves my speaker money idle for a while; I'll buy &/or build some more SWs & reevaluate...

kg3 used as Heights have come out 40Hz every time I've run Audyssey, which is MultiEQ XT, not XT32...lots of speakers to be obtained before I worry about replacing the AVR, if it doesn't die, or I don't get the urge...

room is 410 SQ Feet, add an additional 130 SF for stairway & bar area...also has vaulted ceilings...

Figure I have 2 x 15" & 5 x 12" Woofers in the 7 channel that need to contribute; much MULTI-channel Bass IS Directional.

Take for instance a thunder storm.

My Height speakers are about 10 ft up but may need to be angled more given your results--then again there isn't a boundary near them and that may be the reason they are coming up at 120 Hz...I'll play around with that next week.

I also understand about Bass being directional but with a (or a couple) of properly placed subwoofers the speaker takes up to the crossover point and the lower notes that aren't directional comes from the sub (s) and makes it seem like the sound is coming from the direction it's supposed to...Your example of a thunderstorm on the THX opening on some movies actually starts from behind and then moves to a crescendo that ends up with a loud bang with the lightning strike up front and then the overall rumble as it finishes.

That said, I can dig waiting for the right deal to come along on a sub to get your lower end to keep up with your speakers in a large room.

Edited by tkdamerica

I'm curious what other Audyssey Users settings and experiences are. I will assume those posting have done Audyssey setup correctly and the reason I'm starting this thread is two-fold: 1) Although "all rooms are different," I am curious on how similar and/or different our comparative numbers and experiences are. 2) We all have different expectations and putting our thoughts in writing may help others who are setting up their Klipsch Home theaters using Audyssey.

These are my settings using the Denon AVR-4311ci in a 9.2 configuration with Heights and Rear speakers:

L RF-7 -8 @ 9.6 ft

R RF-7 -8.5 @ 9.5 ft

C RC-7 -8 @ 8.9 ft

LH RB-5 -5.5 @ 13 ft

RH RB-5 -4.5 @12.8 ft

SS RF-3 -9 @ 5.4 ft

SS RF-3 -11 @ 4.4 ft

RL RB-75 -5 @ 8.6 ft

RR RB-75 -5 @ 8.1 ft

Front RSW-12 -9 @7.9 ft

Rear RSW-15 -6.5 @ 10.6 ft

After running the sweeps I went in and raised the crossovers from 40 Hz on the RF-7s, RF-3s and RB-75s to 60 Hz and left the RC-7 at 80 Hz and the RB-5 Heights at 120 Hz where they were set. I also turned Dynamic Volume off and the Dymanic EQ on. Audyssey XT 32 seems to work best in my room and I found that I liked Dolby PLIIx better than Audysey DSX. The latter seemed to sound more echoey whereas PLIIx seems to raise the sound field. We watch movies within -5 to "0" and usually closer to Reference level (last movie was GI Joe @ -2). I also leave DEQ on for multichannel music and concerts and listen closer to -10 and DVD-A.SACD anywhere from -5 to -12 on the MV.

Anyone else?

My settings are very similar to yours, using Audyssey XT32. Give or take a few feet on the surrounds, most likely because your room is larger than mine and/or I sit closer to my surround speakers. I tend to listen to a lot of music on All Channel Stereo during parties. I run a 7.2 and even while doing so (all channel stereo) at very high volumes, my woofers are barely moving. I fear the capabilities :)