Forte II squawker dia replace, when?

Gregg357

is there value in new replacement mid dia's if the original ones are cranking right along and seem to be performing to spec, though they are twenty + years old? I can see and understand new high dia's, as here you typically change to titanium, and new networks (cap replacement, at least), but am unsure of the performance delta vs effort and cost, or if they only need replacement when no longer working. thanks for your input. Gregg

Bob Crites has a Phenolic diaphragm which does in fact sound better than the stock Klipsch do the do need some time at level to settle in about $60.00 a pair. I think that if you pole owners you will find just about all of them prefer them to the stock Klipsch diaphragm. I know I did.

The Klipsch Titanium diaphragms are how ever far better is every way there really is no contest between the two with the ti head and shoulders better. Best regards Moray James

As Moray stated, replaceing the stock squawker diaphragms with titanium is the way to go. When I did my upgrades to my forte II a couple of years ago, Klipsch was and is the only supplier for the titanium. At the time I ordered through Klipsch the complete drivers, and diaphragms which is the K53TI was only five or ten dollars more per pair than just the diaphragms themselves. Obviously I ordered the entire driver for the lousy ten dollar difference, and know I have a spare set should I ever need.

Yes. The only difference between the two drivers is the diaphragm. Also, the peaks that djk describes can be eliminated with a midrange outboard by pass which Bob Crites can build for you. Bob built a pair for me as well. The TI mid needs to be rolled off, or as djk mentioned you will have scenarios where both drivers are working at the same time.

Best regards,

John

Finally found this from Bob Crites. Expands upon what djk was mentioning regarding overlap with TI mids, and tweeters.

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:33 AM

I can provide a little technical information of using the Klipsch titanium midrange to replace the orignal phenolics. On the trace below, the red is an original K-53 phenolic diaphrgm and the green is the K-53TI titanium midrange diaphragm on the same 700 hz horn. We see slightly higher average output for the titanium than the phenolic. The phenolic output drops like a stone at 6khz where the tweeter takes over. That allows the crossover to be pretty simple since there is no reason to roll off the midrange. But, the titanium diaphragm keeps on going, in fact heading for a peak at around 7.3khz before it drops off. So, if the titanium diaphragm is used in place of the phenolic without a crossover mod, you would have the midrange and tweeter both at full output at the same time around 7khz.

Bob Crites

Attached Thumbnails
  • k53tiphen.jpg

thanks for that. I found and read that thread. I'm most confused with the crossover options. from diy cap replace all the way to alk or other high end builders. I have es-khorn xo's from alk that are remarkable. but I wonder if the high end xo's are worth it vs simple cap replacement with high quality caps. also, are they overkill in the smaller cabinets (forte ii vs belle or khorn)? the price delta of the options is wide. i'm leaning toward the alk's but might do recaps + bypass and buy ti mids for approx. the same cost.

Edited by Gregg357