suitable materials for cabinet bracing....

Klipschtastic

One last question before I dive into a KLF20 bracing project. One of my front baffles is rattling like an 85 Caprice with a trunk full of 15" subs. I am chomping at the bit to start this project but the weather is a little cold for glueing in the garage. As soon as the weather lets up, its on!

I have lots of 5/8" thick (press?) board that looks like mdf. Its the type used for flooring. I also have a good deal of 5/8" thick (chip?) particle board. Would either of these be suitable for making shelf type braces with the center cut out for airflow.

I have studied some old posts and have plan but i just want to make sure I use a sturdy enough material to make this as worthwhile as possible.

Thanks

Jon

• Like 1

You KLF20 is already a smaller than optimum volume so keep your brace material as hard and stiff as possible. 3/4" ply 2.5 inches thick ply works well. You will need to remove the melamine from the baffles with a Dremel using a 3/4" sanding drum so you can make a wood to wood bond the melamine combined with defective adhesive is the reason that you have a problem in the first place.. There is a very strong likelihood that your other baffles are also on the way out as they too were built with defective hotmelt adhesive. Scrape off all the hotmelt adhesive sand off the melamine and use white glue for a much stronger than original cabinet. Best regards Moray James.

Moray, when you say 2.5 inches thick do you mean wide?

standard 3/4" thick fir plywood cut 2.5" wide, seal the 3/4" surface with a thin line of white glue then when dry bond to cabinet on edge with more white glue. You can save a little volume building "T" braces out of thinner materials but don't use MDF or flake board for any braces. If you have harder stiffer material such as solid maple or oak then use that rather than plywood.. Best regards Moray James.