Change Khorn AK-3 tweeter crossover frequency?

Ken B

I'n new to the forum, new to crossovers, and have a question about changing the tweeter crossover frequency on a Crites rebuilt AK-3. The board does not have an autotransformer.

I want to change the crossover from the squawker to about 1700 Hz, to drive a driver having a flat impedance of 5.6 ohms from 1500-22000 Hz. Could this be done by changing the caps or inductors?

May sound crazy, but it's the facts. Thanks for any comments.

And has a sensitivity of 104-105dB.

Since Bob and Michael generally do a pretty good job at building crossovers, it's hard to imagine one of their AK-3 rebuilds not having autotransformers on them. However, you may have meant that the tweeter circuits are not attached to them, which is true.

There are three capacitors and two coils in the circuit. This will require a complete redesign, and we will need all of the specifications associated with the new tweeter.

I'n new to the forum, new to crossovers, and have a question about changing the tweeter crossover frequency on a Crites rebuilt AK-3. The board does not have an autotransformer.

I want to change the crossover from the squawker to about 1700 Hz, to drive a driver having a flat impedance of 5.6 ohms from 1500-22000 Hz. Could this be done by changing the caps or inductors?

May sound crazy, but it's the facts. Thanks for any comments.

What tweeter are you intending on using? The k-77 will self destruct at 1700.

There are significant changes needed for the crossover. Low pass on the mid which doesn't exist yet and new high pass for the tweeter. Not close to plug and play at all.

Many tweeters that play down that low will not have the sparkle up high (horn loaded) and will usually have limited dispersion.