EL34/ 6CA7 Recomendations

eth2

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good EL34/6CA7? I have dual mono blocks that take four each. Therefore, a $350 tube x 8 = a truckload of money. As a result, I am looking for a quality tube at a more reasonable price. These will go in VAC 90e's and be driving Cornscalas.

Thanks

Edit: Where is the best place to buy tubes?

Edited by eth2

my tube preferences for el-34 are

Russian current production

PSVANE

I stay away from NOS . When I was a kid, I used to help the local TV repair do house calls. We used to swap out tubes after spraying the tuner dust off spray. basically, just swapping out the tubes fixed a lot of problems due to oxidation of the pins. so one house's junk tubes became the next house's solution. after these Tv repair shops closed, tube raiders came in and bought up their shelf stock and pitched the inventory as NOS.

my tube preferences for el-34 are

Russian current production

PSVANE

I stay away from NOS . When I was a kid, I used to help the local TV repair do house calls. We used to swap out tubes after spraying the tuner dust off spray. basically, just swapping out the tubes fixed a lot of problems due to oxidation of the pins. so one house's junk tubes became the next house's solution. after these Tv repair shops closed, tube raiders came in and bought up their shelf stock and pitched the inventory as NOS.

PSVANE are Chinese are they not? http://psvanetube.com/wordpress/store/products/6ca7-t-quad/

I'm very happy with my SED Winged C's, EL 34's

I bought them from upscale audio. I was previously running electroharmonix which were good but I do hear an improvement with the SED's. Check out upscales website they offer reviews of all the tubes they sell as well as customer reviews.

I love el34's. I have a collection including copper based models. Its purely subjective to what el34 will work best for 1 your amp, 2 your preference in sound. In my trials and not as long as some although for the few years in tube gear even some of the cheapest chinese tubes provide music nirvana. Considering imo with the range of 34's i have burnt in and tested i would try some that are cheap and new on ebay. I have some gold lions that most of my local friends consider to be choice. My current power 34s are a chinese model that are best to my liking to this point in time. They were $94 shipped directly from an online chinese shop. I will say as good as my choice chinese power glass is i do not know how long they will last but for under $100 i have another quad bought that are ready to burn in once the currents being used drop.

I wouldnt bother the smaller pre tubes unless they seem to have too much noise. My current tube setup is 100% quiet when music is on pause. With the pre tubes the number 1 tube in the series is the most important to identify noise. If you hear noise to identify if its from your pre pull the number 1 pre tube and if your setup goes quiet then you should replace them.

edit:I find it to be a fact that vintage amps respond to nos tubes better than new stock or re issues. As well as with modern tube amps respond best with new up to date tubes or current re productions. Some may find their preference otherwise. The best vacuum tube for anything and anyone is purely subjective. Just have fun and enjoy burning tubes in and auditioning any or all at your leisure. Just keep an eye on bias depending on what type of arrangement you may try. Dont stress just be careful. I have burnt in and tested many with a certain amp i use and its bias stands so firm i check it at about heck sometimes every 200hours of use.

edit again:Ebay will yield great results with tubes. Also parts express is a very nice place to find many variations of the el34/el34b

Edited by beeker
  • Like 2