New R7 series

KlipschManiac

<[bR>

Wow, I can't believe I just bought the RF7's, RC-7, and RS-7's. They are just so amazing, I had to have the whole set. I upgraded my Bose Accousitmass series which I had for 12 years, and went to check out what's new in speaker technology these days, since I was so impressed with my ProMedias. So I went to the local Klipsch dealer, and listened to the complete R7 demo. I decided that Klipsch was a LITTLE better then the Bose for home theater realism, music, accuracy, soundstage, vocals, bass, just about everthing else too. Klipsch is a little more expensive, but I think I can live with that in the long run. Ya right! All kidding aside, I love the Klipsch and plan on keeping them for a long time. And the cherry finish is quite beautiful. This all went into a 16X20' room, but these speakers would work in a much larger room as well. My room sounds better than the movie theaters, no kidding. I am so impressed. Now, I am thinking that I may need to upgrade my subwoofers. I have 2 Audiosource 15's that I bought from Costco about 5 years ago. There's probably better subwoofers out ther too. Yah alot better. Well, I have been reading this message board for the past 6 months, and have enjoyed all the opinions and advice, as well as basing my buying decision alot on the advice here. One more thing, the R7's are worth the money even when compared to the value of the R3's, as I don't plan on upgrading soon. Is it possible to upgrade Rf7's??? Very hard to do I would imagine. Lastly, I really thought that Bose was the best HT setup ever made for many years...

Scott

That's great Scott. I know some people around here that have those same speakers.Their names escape me now.But I'll tell you one thing. They're all getting together to get a group rate at DR. Demento's for a check-up from the neck-up! Wanna join in the fun ?

...................icon98.gif

Excuse me. Can't you see those bugs down there ?

I'll get those little suckers. Take that! And That!icon98.gif Ahhhh I'm much better now.

------------------

tHe wORLDs werst TYPesT>

Welcome Scott to the real world, (hey that sounded a little like the Matrix). Enjoy your 7's.

Sean

------------------

NOZ SYSTEM

Fronts: Klipsch RF-7's

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Rears: Klipsch RS-7's

Projector: Infocus LP350

Screen: Draper Premier 96" x 72"

TV: Toshiba 37"

DVD: Toshiba SD 3107

Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 7000

CD: Sony CDP CX250

EQ: Harmon Kardon EQ-8

Sub: Velodyne V-1012-B

Spare/Back-Up: La Scalas

Textf>

I' am a little suprised the Rf7's aren't a little punchier in the bass dept. For dual 10's I expected some more thump then i'm getting. I know my Integra 6.2 has very little bass boost, and maybe this amplifier isn't that good for the Rf7's. I am wondering if an EQ will help. I tend to think the problem, albeit a minor one, is not with the RF7's. But, I would like to increase their bass output down to 50 hz. Any suggestions please?

You know it's time to upgrade when your Promedia computer speakers sound better than your HT!

Thanks,

Scott

KlipschManiac said:

I decided that Klipsch was a LITTLE better then the Bose for home theater realism, music, accuracy, soundstage, vocals, bass, just about everthing else too.

Does this win the award for the biggest understatment every said on this board? Glad you truly saw the light and upgraded from those overpriced paper speakers in the paper boxes.

Yes, the Reference 7 is a bit more expensive than the BOSE setup, but the improvement in sound quality far more than makes up for the difference in price.

KlipschManiac continues with:

I have 2 Audiosource 15's that I bought from Costco about 5 years ago. There's probably better subwoofers out ther too. Yah alot better.

I am not personally familier with that brand/model of subwoofer, so I cannot comment on it personally although the three rewiews posted here seem to really like it. I am using a REL Storm III myself, which I find to be a very good sounding and musical subwoofer that can certainly deliver for movies also. However, the thing is not cheap (around $2K). Many folks on here have/like SVS Subwoofers and they do seem to have some very nice subs for the price. Of course, there is Klipsch's own line of RSW subwoofers that are designed to go with the Reference series of speakers. I hear the RSW-15 is a very musical and good sounding sub, but it is also not cheap. I would say, play with your Audiosource 15s and see how they sound with your setup. If you are not happy, consider getting something else, otherwise, hang on to them. Other folks seem to think they are pretty good.

Finally, KlipschManiac ended with:

Is it possible to upgrade Rf7's??? Very hard to do I would imagine. Lastly, I really thought that Bose was the best HT setup ever made for many years...

As for upgrading from RF-7s?, I really don't know. You can certainly spend much more money on other speakers from other manufactuers, but I hear the sound is really not that much better and not really worth the extra money. Some folks may say going to the fully horn-loaded speakers in Klipsch's Heritage series (Klipschorns, LaScalas, and Klipsch Belles) is an upgrade, but there are some that just don't like the sound of the fully horn-loaded speakers, but like the sound of the Reference 7 speakers better. Since that can turn into a holy war that I don't want to get into, I'll leave it at that Smile.gif.

As for thinking Bose was the best there was, there are, unfortunatly, many folks that still do think so. Just spend a rainy afternoon reading the reviews at

Audio Review for the Bose AcoustiMass speakers and you'll see one of the most interesting holy wars in audio Smile.gif. Personally, I think for the same money that people spent on Bose setups, with a little shopping around, they could have easily gotten something that sounded much better for the money. Boston Acoutic and Polk seem to be very popular and superior alternatives to the Bose offerings.

In your case, you where happy with the Bose AcoustiMass for all those years and enjoyed them. Now, you upgraded to something much bigger and better and is rightfully excited! And I thought going from a Yamaha/Infinity setup to my Reference 7 setup was a big upgrade Smile.gif.

Enjoy your new Klipsch speakers and welcome to the Klub Smile.gif.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

Sorry Scott. You may not qualify for the Demento shock

therapy yet. You may have to do what I did and ram a few thousands watts through those babies, add a couple of SVS ultras to get the ole brain cells scrambled and then the group may take you along to ask the good Doctor for a side order of grits. Zzzzzzzzzzz

Zzzzzzzzzzzz Oh yeah Doc. Feed me. Feed me.I heard that the afro look is coming back ! ZzzzzzzzzzzzzEek.gif

------------------

tHe wORLDs werst TYPesT>

This message has been edited by BBB on 07-17-2002 at 10:54 PM

KM -

Don't worry about BBB, after a couple of weeks listening to your new R7s you'll be able to understand him completely. Well maybe not completely. icon98.gif, I just upgraded to R7s myself (from Klipsch Kg4s), and I love them.

Enjoy!

(and don't say Bose too loudly around here, things could get ugly LOL)

clu,

Don't you mean blose.

------------------

NOZ SYSTEM

Fronts: Klipsch RF-7's

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Rears: Klipsch RS-7's

Projector: Infocus LP350

Screen: Draper Premier 96" x 72"

TV: Toshiba 37"

DVD: Toshiba SD 3107

Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 7000

CD: Sony CDP CX250

EQ: Harmon Kardon EQ-8

Sub: Velodyne V-1012-B

Spare/Back-Up: La Scalas

NoZ,

I am forbidden (by the speaker police) to cast disparaging remarks on bose speakers, since i own a "borg box" (A.K.A. the Bose Wave CD..A.K.A. the most expensive clock/radio/CD player on the planet) LOL...Everything has it's place and time.

Scott,

RF-7's have poor bass!? Someting stinks like rotten...you get the picture.

I have two pairs of RF-7's,and even when used with no help of subs(many subs Smile.gif )they deliver a kick and slam few(very few)can.Going deep too,very surprising!

The Onkyo is no CinePro or Krell duh(no wattage does not tell you about the amplifier quality or bass prowess,most recievers have weakling kiddie amps).I use ATI(no not ATI the Canadian video card maker) amps with my R series Klipsch,the ATI 1505 and 2505(main to drive mains ,center and main sourrounds)the 1505 drives the second sourrounds(RB-5's).Even when I had my Denon 5800 reciever(its big and it has a BIG quality amp...for a reciever)I used the 2505 as the real muscle.A great power amp bests a great reciever amp any day in any test,and when bass and extracting the deep from your RF-7's is important a great amp will do the most good.

Simply put the ATI 2505 was a full step from the Denon 5800 internal amp.Power,slam and all the bass the RF-7's can muster.

Bass is very real to near 30Hz with the RF-7's. Defined and clean above all.Weak...not unless you ask for sub 30Hz,there you need a true subwoofer.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Yep, I said the same thing, my ht sounds better than a theater. Got the compliment from my mother-in-law also. Had my neighbor over the other day... I could tell by the look on his face it was too loud even though it sounded soooo good. Whata sissy. cwm1.gif

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

TV: Samsung 27" Flatscreen

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>