Heresy

savaja

I just got my hands on a set of Heresy's and would like to get some additional information. They are birch plywood and the only numbers I can find are engraved in the back.....93U629 and 93U630. Anyone have any insight regarding these.

They sound incredible and cost me $50! The cabinets are a bit rough, ie. two or three spots of chipped veneer.

Your Heresys were built in 1980....look at the back of them...while facing the back....look at the top left edge...about an inch or so below the joint of the plywood...you MAY see the letter "A" stamped in there somewhere...it won't be stamped in as deeply as the serial number across the top edge...and it may have been filled with wood putty...if you see that, then I built them...they are great little speakers and you got one helluva deal on em!! Enjoy!!

------------------

I can now receive private messages

that "P" was the sander's stamp...the builder's stamp may have gotten sanded down so faint that you can't see it...but it should be slightly visible on at least one of the cabinets..."P" was Judy Purtle's sanding code.

You can take a piece of birch plywood or some birch edge banding and make little patches for those veneer chips...if you want. It is tedious...but if you get a good match, it will look very nice!! just take an exacto knife...and cut out and whittle on the veneer patches til they are a fit...then glue them on with superglue, sand them down flush with the surrounding wood and finish them.

------------------

I can now receive private messages

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 07-17-2002 at 10:25 PM

On veneer repair - I go one step further.

I always leave the area to be repaired in its natural jagged shapes (in other words, do not square the edges for ease of shaping the veneer you will be using to repair). I get close to the shape (not exact), glue and then fill any gaps with a combination of the sanded veneer sawdust and a little glue (kind of makes a wood paste)that forms a very natural, imperfect patch.

I have always been pleased with the results and you can stain over the sawdust paste and get similar absorption.

------------------

Hwatkins