Why is THX rating even used?

REDdawn6

I understand that THX was top notch back in the day. I believe any of your THX rated speakers kicks ***. With the advances in Dobly and DTS on Blu Rays and DVDs, why is THX still being used as a reference ?

dont get me wrong , I have a file full of THX pre-movie sound bytes and love them. Thanks , I`m curious. RD6

Edited by REDdawn6

why not? still sounds cool. to me its a selling point. and in all reality there is just certain levels of requirements that have to be met to obtain them. there are so many levels now that you can buy a thx onkyo HTIB... :blink: i dont let it make any part into my buying decisions.

I understand that THX was top notch back in the day...With the advances in Dolby and DTS on Blu-Ray's and DVDs, why is THX still being used as a reference?

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/THX:

The THX system is not a recording technology, and it does not specify a sound recording format: all sound formats, whether digital (Dolby Digital, SDDS) or analog (Dolby Stereo, Ultra-Stereo), can be "shown in THX."

THX is mainly a quality assurance system. THX certified theaters provide a high-quality, predictable playback environment to ensure that any film soundtrack mixed in THX will sound as near as possible to the intentions of the mixing engineer.

THX also provides certified theaters with a special crossover circuit whose use is part of the standard.

Certification of an auditorium entails specific acoustic and other technical requirements; architectural requirements include a floating floor, baffled and acoustically treated walls, non-parallel walls (to reduce standing waves), a perforated screen (to allow center channel continuity), and NC30 rating for background noise ("ensures noise from air conditioning units and projection equipment does not mask the subtle effects in a movie's soundtrack.").

...THX certification extends to home audio receivers, speakers, desktop systems, soundbars, acoustic materials, microphones, and HDMI cables.

B)

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

I had to go read the link that Chris posted. This may save others sometime.

The THX system is not a recording technology, and it does not specify a sound recording format: all sound formats, whether digital (Dolby Digital, SDDS) or analog (Dolby Stereo, Ultra-Stereo), can be "shown in THX." THX is mainly a quality assurance system

• Like 1

It costs licencing money that would be better spent elsewhere. There is stuff in every equipment category that will wipe the floor with lower end stuff that carries the THX badge, but the manufacturer chose not to pay THX. There is also pure garbage that bears the badge because a payment was made. The specs they demand are nothing special.

• Like 1