RC-7/RS-7 Large or Small Setting?

KlipschManiac

I am wondering what other owners of the RC7 and RS7 do to the receivers large/small speaker settings? Usually, this is a no brainer, and should be set to small for most other speakers, buy, these babies have dual 8's and single 8's in them. I have them set to small myself, and I like it that way, but am I missing so frequencies this way? Is there bass below 80hz in the center and surrounds? BTW- This question has no relevence to Bose owners, (previously me)they'll never know the difference. Bass below 80Hz, not possible.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott,

For the RC-7 my pre/pro is set on small as well as for the sourrounds(RF-7's!)in fact all my Klipsch R series are set to small.Fronts and rears are RF-7's,these are almost full range and yet I cut them,why?

Simple,maximum clarity.When you free your sats from the bass burden they perform better.Less strain

I cut my sats at 40Hz however,as 80Hz is a bit high.Most less expensive recievers only have the 80Hz point.

If your sub is good up to 80Hz then try all sats on SMALL.

The RC-7 can work well when set on LARGE,the RS-7's however cant handle true deep bass,they simply cant reproduce any deep bass so set the sourrounds to SMALL.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Just like The Ears said.

Clarity.

With center and sats use small.

It does take a considerable load off them.

In considering all 5.1 formats and better.

The job of the RS7 and RC7 is to reproduce ambient sounds and vocals(primarily).

Most of these sounds occur above 100Hz.

The remainder of the sounds below 100Hz usually get filtered off and sent to the subwoofer. Unless your system offer a LFE plus main selection or yours speakers are set to large.

Still, experiment with different settings and different materials. Go with your ears.

I leave my RF7s on large.

I feel is gives me the best sound.(movies and music). I have my RC7 on small but I run my center preout to a second sub.

This gives me a coherent soundstage and smoothes out the rooms overall bass response.

I keep my four RS7s on small.

I didn't like the feel of them on large.

Besides, the candle that burns twice as bright lasts half as long.

This message has been edited by Audioreality on 07-19-2002 at 01:40 AM

Thank you "TheEAR" and "Audioreality". RC7 and RS7's are set to small. I also like the Rf7's on large, and I cross the subwoofers at 50Hz. I don't like the sound of my 15"s going up to 80Hz at all, their transient response is just so slow, and the RF7's do a good job of picking up the upper bass.

Scott

Hi all,

I thought I'd throw my 2 cents worth in. My R-7's are all set to large. I have my crossover set to 40 hrz and the .1 channel set to lfe plus main. I find this gives me the best performance. I was listening to Tina Turner Live in Amsterdam last night in DTS (A fantastic disk by the way) and they do some neat effects through the sats. There were drum effects that just didn't have the super tight punch when the speakers where set to small. Set to large and the tight drum skin like response was there. I can't explain it but my ears tell me I like it better with all 7's set to large. I can tell you that it made one hell of a difference to bass response setting the .1 channel to LFE plus mains. This is the way I prefer to listen to movies and music.

Take care

Rick

------------------

Mains RF-7

Centre RC-7

Surrounds RS-7

Rear Centre 2 x RS-7

Sub SVS-CS Ultra x 2

Receiver Denon AVR-5803

DVD Denon 2800

T.V. Sony KP57HW40 Widescreen

Computer Pro-Media 5.1

unless you have something like a yammy w/ an lfe control, about all processors send LFE to the sub only just as long as you set sub:yes. lfe is the 6th channel but called .1 because it handles roughly 1/10 of the frequency bandwidth (low frequency/effects).

if you have an adjustable crossover in your receiver/prepro, then seems to be best to drop that some below 80hz to like 40-60hz. i do that & still put all speaks on small where it seems for me to be the best blend by using both the high pass crossover (for the speakers) & the low pass cross (for the sub). if you set any speaks large then the high pass to them is effectively disengaged & they run full frequency.

best is to experiment w/ the dif setting to hear what sounds best w/ bassy material. & usually best to test w/ bass 2-channel material, because there you have low bass in the main channels & not just from LFE. the large/small settings only affect as for the low bass in the speaker channels. they do not affect LFE which is a seperate channel in most cases directed to the sub only.

------------------

My Home Systems Page