What to do, what to do.....

jimjimbo

So, from recent restorations, I have two K-33-E woofers (currently being reconed), and two K-34-E's....I've pretty much decided that HT is a waste of time for me. I don't watch enough movies or TV to make it worthwhile. But, I love a good thump in the chest bass, not excessive, but there.....you know what I mean....I have Cornwalls that almost get there, but not quite. So....thinking that I should put these extra woofers (not necessarily all) to good use, (ok, maybe two and sell the other two). I'm honestly not a great DIY guy, so looking for something fairly turn-key, easy to put together, but very good quality. Also, I honestly don't know what else I would need for other components...a crossover? an internal powered amp? Just gathering knowledge on this, so please bear with me. Thanks for any help. I've looked briefly at the Tuba HT sub....recommended? Of course I want to match as closely as possible with the Cornwalls....again, thanks...Jim

Jim, you might ask the guys at the AVS.com DIY speakers and subs, forum.

They are every bit as helpful as the people are on this forum,with several common members. Ask your questions there and the DIY guys can tailor an answer to your sub budget, woodworking skills, XO's, power needs, etc. I have built two kits which use flat packs, and for a novice no wood working skills guy like me, it was exactly what I needed. The quality of the flat packs are incredible, are CNC computer cut, and everything fits very precisely, with great engineering (read, heavy duty bracing, easy to put together).

I put mine together using nothing but glue and some $5 clamps. There is very little sanding, because the seams don't just fit, they match.

I got my flat packs from the DIY Soundgroup. They sell their product without regard for making a profit because they support the DIY concept, and I doubt you could find a bigger bang for the buck. Highly recommended, Erich is the guy who runs that operation, a first class guy. He posts on the AVS DIY forum, usually on the "Hey guys..." thread.

Good luck, and if you have any questions, feel free to contact me "off the air."

Edited by wvu80