In wall speaker?

carolinacat

I'm thinking of possibly doing in wall speakers in my living room. I've moved to a new house and have been doing some remodeling as well as making use of the attic space for a dedicated room. I was gonna have to buy a tv for the living room soon and got to thinking that the 120 inch screen I have and can't use in the dedicated room any more will do nicely instead. So I got to looking to see what is out there. I found a pretty good deal on a pair of kl6504. though I'd have to buy another for the center and then two rear surround ... getting expensive fast. They will be in the walls not the ceiling. Does klipsch offer anything totally enclosed so you do get bleed thru as bad into the adjacent rooms? Any other brands recommended? Any links on this site to what others have used ? I did a quick search but didn't get much. I will have 7 lascalas and 4 15's for subs up stairs when back going again so I'm not looking for greatness out of this but I don't want it to sound like tin cans and string either.

• Moderators

How big is the room ?

I ask because maby something like the Quintets with a sub may work. In wall's are not cheap, a pain to remove or change and kind of permanent, and one more time, not cheap.

Can't believe I'm saying this but maby even a sound bar ? You are going to have a room which will make this sound weak either way.

Yea the walls are plaster not dry wall. Maybe best not to cut holes in them. Mabe some on wall speakers instead of inwall. Klipsch reference or something. Room is 15x 45x8 the back 15 foot os so is gonna be a eating area I think not sure how its gonna finish out yet.

• Moderators

That might be a good idea, 2 good speakers will sound fine for general Tv and movies. That's a big room it's going to take a decent speaker to give you what you want.

Anyway when you listen to a pair of speakers and there set towed in a little the sound sounds like it from the center anyway so it wouldn't be distracting. I think in that room you wouldn't really need the whole surround thing if you had two good sounding speakers. It would also work out great for music in that area.

Not sure what size your looking for but remember it's cheaper in the long run to go a litter bigger from the start, Sanchos idea of Heresy's with maby a small sub off in the corner would fill that space nicely, and there not that big at all, or some reference, your choice.

It's just a lot more convenient to be moved or changed out than in wall of ceilings.

Edited by dtel

• Moderators

Well that a big step form in walls, It will sound a lot better. This will make the room nice for music which is good, you don't have to go upstairs to listen and will add music where people spend more time. Good idea

• Moderators

Why not just start with mains and add whatever later, with the room being not terribly wide but long the center is not as important ? If you have the Lascalas could you just stick them downstairs while you work on the theater upstairs ?

Just asking and trying to come up with ideas for you to spend the least amount and get what you want. If you don't have the LaScalas yet but plan on using some upstairs get those, use them downstairs and move them upstairs later ? After the room is done upstairs you could always get something for the living room then.

LaScalas are almost baby proof since they can't reach any speaker cones.

Just guessing and trying to help, I really don't know the situation. Good luck how ever you go, you got the right idea, it just takes time.

Edited by dtel

Yea I have the lascala's. I made all 7 of them myself. Oak plywood trac horn alk k crossovers. Dont want them messed up at all. 2 are down stairs now with an old onkyo for 2 channel listening sitting on top of empty sub cabinets. Im leaning to the rf7 currently.

Edited by carolinacat
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I now have 2 new rf7 II and a new rc64. So I may of had to great of expectations for them. I did just take them out of the boxes and throw them in front of junk... Powering them with old onkyo receiver. Guess I need to dig out my marantz 8801 and bryston 7bs...

• Moderators

I think your right it will be fine once it's arranged and more permanent. Not going to sound like LaScalas for sure, much smaller horns and a completely different style of bass, it may take a little getting use to also, but it will be fine it's a good speaker just different.