New 3/4 way speaker build

shepjk01

Well its that time of year again to experiment with a new speaker build. My last speakers were dbb's using the crites cw1526c woofers. Having owned all the heritage line I was never fully happy with the bass. The dbbs was definitely a step up from my lascalas. Never being content, over the last few years I managed to acquire 4 jbl 2242 18 inch woofers. My original idea was to use them as subs, but went another route. So last fall I built dual bass bins for them and they replaced the crites woofers in my 3 ways.

I have to say from 40-300hz they are monsters of slam, but they drop pretty fast after 350hz. So I have decided to build a pair of jwc's 233hz tractrix horns and mate them to a pair of jbl 2485j 2 inch compression drivers.

The final design is going to be:

- jbl 2242 dbbs from 40-350hz

- jbl 2485j on the 233hz tractrix horn from 350-3500hz

- b&c de250 on a seos 12 horn from 3500hz-20khz

When it is all said and done if it doesn't work out I picked up a pair of peavey fh1 bins from Claude and could use them from 100-500hz and go 4 way using the 2242's from 35-120hz.

I finished a prototype of the 233fc tractrix. I threw it together in about an hour so it will not win any awards in the looks department, but it allowed me to get a few quick measurements. I had to take it in room as I have no way to go outside and take measurements. Here is the graph taken 1 meter from the mouth of the horn at 0 deg

post-23824-0-25940000-1403119047_thumb.j

post-23824-0-09040000-1403119282_thumb.j

post-23824-0-70440000-1403119346_thumb.j

Edited by shepjk01
  • Like 2

Open to all suggestions with the build. I'm waiting on the seos12's and have completed a full set of the 223fc tractrix horns, but they are airing out as I just finished painting them yesterday.

The black on the inside curves of the prototype was some caulk to make sure everything was sealed.

The system will be fully active using a minidsp 2x8 with all qsc amps for power.

Edited by shepjk01

• 5 weeks later...

I'm almost finished with my final midhorns. I went through a few alterations until I was happy. Know for the bottoms. I'm not going to use the jbl 2242's for the bottom of the 3 ways as they just don't reach high enough. My next step is to decide whether to use the peavey fh-1's I bought from claude or another idea I'm toying with is using 4 jbl 2226j's wired in parallel per side( for the bottoms ) which would come out to a 4 ohm load. Just trying to get some input as to whether the fh-1's with the dual 2242's per side would sound better than 4 jbl 2226's. The crossover for the bottom is 350hz as I think this is where the horn sounds the best.

Well its that time of year again to experiment with a new speaker build. My last speakers were dbb's using the crites cw1526c woofers. Having owned all the heritage line I was never fully happy with the bass. The dbbs was definitely a step up from my lascalas. Never being content, over the last few years I managed to acquire 4 jbl 2242 18 inch woofers. My original idea was to use them as subs, but went another route. So last fall I built dual bass bins for them and they replaced the crites woofers in my 3 ways.

I have to say from 40-300hz they are monsters of slam, but they drop pretty fast after 350hz. So I have decided to build a pair of jwc's 233hz tractrix horns and mate them to a pair of jbl 2485j 2 inch compression drivers.

The final design is going to be:

- jbl 2242 dbbs from 40-350hz

- jbl 2485j on the 233hz tractrix horn from 350-3500hz

- b&c de250 on a seos 12 horn from 3500hz-20khz

When it is all said and done if it doesn't work out I picked up a pair of peavey fh1 bins from Claude and could use them from 100-500hz and go 4 way using the 2242's from 35-120hz.

I finished a prototype of the 233fc tractrix. I threw it together in about an hour so it will not win any awards in the looks department, but it allowed me to get a few quick measurements. I had to take it in room as I have no way to go outside and take measurements. Here is the graph taken 1 meter from the mouth of the horn at 0 deg

A man after my own heart. I use the cw1526C in my DBB's. Small format tractrix horn with Altec 902-16A. JBL 2404 baby cheek tweets. ESN DBB 450 nets.

tc

I still have my dbb bottoms. You can never have enough of a good thing. The dual jbl 2242's per side are huge step up from the dbbs from 40-150hz, but I prefer the 15's from there they have a tighter punchier sound. My dilemma is do I keep the 2242's and go with the fh-1 bins covering from 150-350 or go with 4 jbl 2226's to replace the 2242's and fh-1's. I already have 4 of the jbl's I would just have to pick up 4 more.

shep, just love where you are going with this!

My modest DBB two channel system is in a small heavily treated room.

AH! CDP with up sampler and Semans CCa tubes. Peach ll preamp dumped into two bridged Luxman SS M-117's for the bottom. The top end is provided by two MC 100 mono blocks

Much tight and clean slam plus spooky mids are had in this place.

You got it. Just keep going!

regards,

tc