Vintage KHORNS need ya'll advice

tangero

Those wooden horns are neat. Beautiful speakers.

Reminds me, there is a guy making custom wooden horns right now for other applications and various drivers. Not a very deep horn so a bit different design then Klipschorn.

http://www.woodhorn.com/

kh

------------------

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

Check out the comments under "Take a look at these babies." You'll have to page down past all the baby pictures (which admittedly are fun to look at).

There is something odd going on with those speakers which would bear serious investigation before shelling out that kind of money.

Capt'n Bobcwm13.gif

I don't see too much to worry about regarding the horns on e-bay. A lot of it makes sense. That is certainly a K-5 midrange horn we see the back of.

Remember that in those days, stereo was in its infancy. So the original owner might well have bought a single unit early on. Perhaps it did not have a tweeter or had a University tweeter.

Later the owner bought a second unit. By then the design of the upper unit had changed. Remember there were several versions of the K-5.

Also, very early K-Horns hand no tweeter, then the University, then the Electrovoice.

It would make sense that an owner would go to the factory and upgrade the older one to what was then current.

Gil

Vavoline,

If those k-horns were indeed upgraded at the factory...and if Mr. Bradford signed off on the testing of them as it shows on the bass bin labels, you can be assured they MET or EXCEEDED the specs for k-horns in the 70's...trust me on that!! Smile.gif

When that particular gentleman tested something, it either passed or was sent back out through the "in" door of his testing booth with a note attached telling what the problem was...and NO SIGNATURE on its label!!! He was quite particular about that kind of thing!! And if he wrote down that it "had a leak"..."needed a (particular component) replaced"..."had a leaking glue seam (and the location)"...etc...that is what was fixed and it kept being tested until the problem was solved...or else his signature didn't go on it!! He was "THE MAN"!!! Smile.gif

------------------

I can now receive private messages

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 07-25-2002 at 10:54 AM

• 2 years later...

----------------

On 7/24/2002 9:06:00 PM Vavoline wrote:

Man these khorns are certainly getting their share of attention here on the BB!! I must say, they are quite pleasing to the eye, but how about the ear?

Got to be careful on ebay!

This message has been edited by Vavoline on 07-25-2002 at 02:25 AM
----------------

I have attached a .txt file explaing my experience with k-5 horns for now.....35 years.

it is k5horn.txt and probably is just above this note.