Klipsch Synergy Ultimax 12" Subwoofer

johnnydrama

So several months back I purchased the Dayton Ultimax 12 Kit and was very pleased with the results especially with the money I spent. However I wasn't happy with the aesthetics and how it turned out so I'm refinishing the cabinet and taking it in a new direction. I've sanded down the box and am going to paint it satin black or I'm also considering Duratex as well. I was then able to pick up an empty box (less subwoofer and amp) Klipsch Synergy Sub-10 on feebay for $30. My intention is to slap on the feet and Klipsch LED indicator panel onto my Dayton kit. I've done a photo edit to render the look I'm going for (please excuse my skills, I don't own a Photoshop seat, so this was done in Microsoft Paint). Truth be told I've always liked the look of the Klipsch Synergy models, however the bass was always very sloppy with those. Plus the Dayton Ultimax driver is such a sexy beast, I didn't want to put it in a downward firing configuration.

I wanted to do this because I've gone back to my original Klipsch XF-48s. Many here never gave these speakers much credit or thought. However it's a magnificent performer and an even better looking speaker IMO. I've attached a picture for those who aren't familiar with the XF-48s. I replaced a pair of RB-81iis with these, and would put these toe to toe with those any day. The horns on the 48s are also a much better fit for my space due to their dispersion. I sit 7-8 feet from my TV and slightly off center to the right. The 81iis never disappeared, it was easy for me to hear which speaker the sounds were coming from. This was obviously mainly caused by my less than ideal seating position and the horns that are utlized on the reference series. I've also posted a picture of my space when I had the 81s set up to give you an idea what I'm talking about.

Anyways back to the topic at hand, this new build should match the cosmetics of my XF-48s nicely and give me the bottom end ooomphh I'm missing. I think it will look cool having all 3 of the Blue LED indicator lights staring back at me. Keep in mind the XF-48s are an active design so I'm using the pre-outs from my H/K ran directly to the input on the back of the speaker, so they have indicator lights as well to let you know when they are receiving a signal.

I'm excited to get this thing done, however I've got a weekend guys getaway planned, so it probably won't happen until next week sometime. I will be sure to post pics of the final product.

post-51058-0-96100000-1407267177_thumb.j

post-51058-0-66100000-1407267618_thumb.j

post-51058-0-44980000-1407269037_thumb.j

Edited by johnnydrama

sounds like an awesome idea! the extra details could make a big difference, aesthetically.

i was following your build thread, to see how everything turned out. i think you gave me the itch to try my hand at diy :D