How to tame a Klipsch?

foot

I'm running RF3 II fronts, RC3 II center, and four RS3 II's for surrounds. The three fronts are passively bi-amped with a Parasound 1205 and the surrounds are straight amped. My sub is a SVS 20-39 PCi. I use a Sony DA5ES as a pre/pro.

I have had problems with shrillness with the RS speakers. I like to feel (literally) my sub, so I listen at pretty high volumes. Anyone have any suggestions as to speaker placement, or other ideas, to take the high treble out a little and boost the mids to create a "warmer" sound? My room has tiled floors with a large throw rug, sheet rock walls, and several large openings.....not what I'd call the perfect sound room. Thanks for any suggestions.

your sony es receiver should have parametric eq's w/a variety of adjustments to tame the sound of the klipsches in that room, HOWEVER, room acoustic treatments are extremely effective. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center (looking for 1-m.o.klf-20)

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

OK....I've thought about toeing the speakers out (or less in), using the equalizer, and simply turning the volume down. The worst problem occurs at very high volume. The reason I even listen that high to begin with is to feel the punch of the sub-woofer....not subtle. I've even considered getting a matching SVS sub so I would have the same sub-sonic impact at a lower volume. I know it sounds silly to get a second sub to tame treble, but in my case I think it may work.

I would be interested in a link or explanation in how to treat a room for better sound. There has got to be something more subtle than hanging carpets all over the place (which won't happen here anyway). Thanks.

your idea of increasing the bass isn't that far off from what i've done. w/my es receiver,i've set all speakers to small, sub yes,l,r front rolls to sub @40Hz, center and surround @70/60Hz.my rsw-15 brings in the bottom octaves. for MY room , i set the treble at +1.5dB(probably NOT what you want to do)and the bass +3.5dB@125Hz. this seemed to tame the mids back some, so when i'm leaning on it, and actually all the time, i'm getting the sound i want, and can crank it w/out my ears bleeding. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center (looking for 1-m.o.klf-20)

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Howdy.

I'm not sure of the links but here's a couple of companies that make Acoustic absorbing/diffusing materials.

1. Sonex. (Illbruck acoustic products)

2. ASC. (Acoustic Sciences Corporation)

3. Owens-Corning.

4. Quest Technologies.

5. R.P.G. Diffusor Systems

Basically, without having to buy expensive absorbers and diffusors, you could hang some pictures, get another or a larger rug, hang drapes over windows, or trying putting your mains deeper into the corners.

These are just a few basics that apply to most room situations.

A little trick for sub placement to maximize bass response in your sweet spot is to physically place your sub at or very near to your prime listening position.

Then walk all around the room until you feel the best response. It could be in one or more places. Simply place the sub in the location you felt the best thump. That should be the best spot. Although it is not always the most favored spot, it genuinely would be the best.

There are many, many thoughts and ideas concerning sub placement.

More details on your rooms' layout, constuction and furnishings are needed to make an accurate assesment.

The above suggestion on placement usually produces good results.

Enjoy your system.

------------------

You should of heard just what I've seen.

quote:

Basically, without having to buy expensive absorbers and diffusors, you could hang some pictures, get another or a larger rug, hang drapes over windows, or trying putting your mains deeper into the corners.

Good point:

In addition do a search on Google for a set of plans by Jon Risch for absorber panels and bass traps. I built a set of 4 panels for about C$75.00 that made a dramatic improvement to the sound of my system. There are also couple of threads on the forum where I discuss this issue in some detail. Look in the General Forum for a thread by Avman entitled Tweaks for KLF30's?

I would provide the various links but "She who must be obeyed" is making surly noises so I'd better hit the sack!

You didn't mention interconnects,speaker wire or transport.

When I first got into this hobby/addiction I started with KLF20's and Denon. I hated it. I couldn't listen to a CD all the way through with my ears hurting.

I added a Parasound HCA1500A to my front speakers and used the Denon as a Pre amp. Sounded better, but still hurt. I changed speaker wire from one stranded wire to another. Still no cigar. I tried to sell the speakers, but couldn't give them away. I kept listening to other brands of speakers and kept thinking my KLF's sound as good or better.

I then bought Audioquest Type 4 speaker wire ( the cheapest wire they made). I could listen to CD's all night with no fatigue. I was using an Onkyo CD player.

Two years later I am using my KLF20's for my 2 Channel system, with tubes and a Rega Planet 2000 Cd player. It sounds so good.

Room treatment is very important, but I think you have to get it sounding good and then worry about fine tuning the room.

Good Luck and it will all work out.

Danny

Your right Danny, and yep, there are no mentions of cabling in the above posts.

Sure, personally, i'm very much for understanding Cable Theory and such.

I believe it "can" make severals differences on several levels given the right circumstances.

I think many of us are cabled out.

The thought required to accurately understand some of the signal transfer/cabling concepts is tiresome at best.

I'm just not in the mood to don the plate mail and sword to battle the evil non-believers.LoL.

Just not right now, anyway

John.

------------------

You should of heard just what I've seen.

On your point about the possibility of a second sub, this is not a silly idea. It takes lots of sub to get the type of low end impact you describe. This takes lots of power and piston volume (especially if you have large openings to other parts of the house in your listening room.

Sounds to me like your low end (sub) is running out of steam as you increase volume (mids & highs increase as you increase volume but the low end volume is not increasing at the same rate). The result at high volumes is that mids and highs are emphasized and the sound is out of balance (tilted towards the mids and highs).

I use twin subs in my system very effectively.

Doug C

• 2 weeks later...

I've got my second sub on order but I've done something else that may surprise you. While looking into the possibility of room treatments, I ran across a product called "Argent Room Lens". I ended up ordering three after speaking with their designer. All I can say is "WOW!". These things have taken all shrillness out and also improved my sound in a lot of other ways. I was thinking about changing my RF3's for Linn Espeks, but now I'm having second thoughts. I would encourage anyone interested in serious audio to check out the Room Lens' web site. Here's the link http://www.roomlens.com/ . This is not hype. I would be interested to hear opinions of those that have used them.

I didn't want to mention it, for fear of my life, but when I upgraded from my standard speaker cable to MIT T2's it tamed the treble on my KLF-10's and added a little more punch to the bass.

I no longer have to deal with the shrill sound when listening to music, especially with female vocals.

This is just an observation on my part.

I would never dare tell someone (especially in a group) to go out and replace their speaker cable that you bought in Home Depot for .03 cents/ft. Most people swear they sound the same as hi-end cables anyway.

------------------

Mains: KLF 10's

Center: RC-3 (I know--doesn't match mains)

Surrounds: Quintets

Receiver: Denon 3802

DVD: Toshiba 3109 and Denon DVD-900

TV: Sony 36XBR400

MIT T2 and T3cables throughout