La Scala appearance repairs

notboating

Not to speak on his behalf, but if you look at the LaScala picture above, you see the approximately 1/2" "gap" between the bass bin and top hat?

I believe this is the collar and is nothing more than a design tweak that (in my opinion) most people tend to find more attractive.

Not knowing your budget, you might look into building a new tophat and slipping a K510 in there to make it a 2-way. 

Even if you add ply to the box, you'll want to repair the damage. That doesnt look like simple veneer peeling but delamination of the plywood due to water damage or possibly water plus pulling the speaker so that the base scraped across the ground. That's not a great substrate to attach new wood too. Luckily, if you are covering with ply, you dont have to make it pretty, just structurally sound.

If they were mine, I would add ply and not veneer. The substrate is pretty beat up and from what I understand, adding a little thickness to the sidewalls helps the LS perform better.

I've fixed corners like that on my Cornwalls and it's a PITA to get the corners square so that when you do reveneer they look good.

By the way, what a problem to have. I'd like to have another set to refurb!