Impedance Klipsch Forte II

Editorrr

Hello!

I really need your help. Please give graph impedance Klipsch Forte II.

Thanks!!!

Mikhail, Ukraine

Good to hear from you Mikhail.  I know your land is troubled.

I had measured and posted the impedance of my Quartet some years ago.  It is the little brother to the Forte II, with the Chorus II being the big brother.  I think there is not going to be a big difference. 

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/92689-best-speaker-tap-to-use-on-a-mcintosh-with-quartets/?hl=%2Bquartet+%2Bimpedance#entry1010458

Please read my notes on the print-out.  Of course the actual data shows just how inaccurate the nominal impedance figure of one number for any speaker really is.

I have Forte II at the office and listen to the world's best classical music station all day while I'm chained to a computer with MS Word.  WFMT streams, so if you like classical, give it a try.

If things go right, I'll drag the test equipment to the office next weekend, run some tests, and post the results here.

It will be part of my labors to catch up with old projects which need doing.

WMcD

Edited by William F. Gil McDermott
  • Like 1

Good to hear from you Mikhail. I know your land is troubled. I had measured and posted the impedance of my Quartet some years ago. It is the little brother to the Forte II, with the Chorus II being the big brother. I think there is not going to be a big difference. https://community.kl...ce#entry1010458 Please read my notes on the print-out. Of course the actual data shows just how inaccurate the nominal impedance figure of one number for any speaker really is. I have Forte II at the office and listen to the world's best classical music station all day while I'm chained to a computer with MS Word. WFMT streams, so if you like classical, give it a try. If things go right, I'll drag the test equipment to the office next weekend, run some tests, and post the results here. It will be part of my labors to catch up with old projects which need doing. WMcD

I will be very grateful to you! I certainly need to know the impedance of Forte II
:)
I have no way to measure yourself.
In Ukraine, all will be well! We will win, because it is very much want to.

Please let me have a another few days on this.  My test equipment uses a serial port.  Two old laptops with serial ports, which I've used in the past, have failed.

I'm off to Microcenter tonight to buy a serial to UBS adaptor -- which might solve the problem.

WMcD

It is interesting to read again the analysis of the Cornwall by Mitja Borko.

His work is the only comprehensive one of which I'm aware.

He is probably calling it the Cornwall II because that is what Klipsch called when it first came into production. You can find a review on line here Other CW's before had the off center placement of mid and tweeter which led to debate over vertical or horizontal orientation. And early ones had the long slot for bass port. But he is talking about what we know as the CW. There was a later design called the CW II with plastic horns, of course.

I post this because his analysis shows the electrical impedance which has a graph of similar shape to that of the Forte II which I measured and posted above.

One of his comments is in error, IMHO. He seems to think that the resonance of the box and port is indicated by a sharp low frequency peak. That is not correct. It is actually the valley between the two peaks which indicates the box and port resonance and the resulting acoustic loading of the active bass driver.

In the Forte II the dip is caused by the passive radiator and its suspension plus box "spring" rather than a port. But pretty much the same idea.

There is a Dope From Hope about amplifier distortion which shows the electrical impedance of a Heresy. That is a box without a port. We see a hump in electrical impedance where box and driver diaphragm resonate, if mildly, with no port loading, in a sealed box.

Conceptually, the electrical impedance just shows a mountain hump of a sealed box. If you have the port or passive, they make a valley in the middle.

Otherwise . . . we see an increase in impedance in the midrange as the electrical loading of the midrange driver comes on. In the CW and Forte and the Heresy it is high up to the range of 50 to 100 ohms. This is the action of the autotransformer. Then it dips down again because the tweeter.

Am I being too pedantic?

An important concept is that we can look at the electrical impedance at the input and infer a good deal about what is going on with the electrical mechanical, and accustical items in the box.

WMcD

Cornwall Test Report.pdf

Edited by William F. Gil McDermott
  • Like 1

Since I mentioned it, here is the impedance of a Heresy from a DfH.

The tweeter is fed by the autotransformer but gets less voltage reduction than the midrange.  This is to say the autotransformer is increasing the impedance for the tweeter but not as much as the midrange.  This is why there is a big rise in electrical impedance in the midrange, range.  Then (going up in freq) the impedance for the tweeter range is still high but not as high.

As mentioned, there is a hump for the bass diaphragm resonance.

WMcD

post-453-0-34620000-1412791411_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

My opt's only have 6 ohm taps, output impedance high at ~3 ohms, yet results in flat response from the mids/tweets.  That's close to worse case scenario, not sure if your amp is quite as bad as mine.  I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Edited by Ski Bum