is there a way to shield speaker magnets?

Hi,

I have a pair of Klipsch KG 4.5 floor standing speakers. I'm trying find out if it is possible to shield the magnets on the speakes so that it doesn't interfere with the picture tube on my tv. Space is limited in my new house and I'm forced into placing the speakers 4 feet from the tv on both sides. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

quote:

Originally posted by lynnm:

Bucking magnets are available but you don't need them in the setup you describe.

i agree, unless your tv is super duper sensitive you should have no problems with the speakers that far away from the tv.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

this is a bucking magnet...

249-325m.jpg

...By attaching to a driver's magnet in reverse polarity, this magnet can be used to add shielding to tweeters, midranges, and small mid-bass and woofer drivers so they can be placed in close proximity to picture tube CRTs and computer monitors.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

s>

MM - Don't want to dispute your reality, but it really seems odd that they would cause interference at 4 feet from the set. I have a pair of Chorus (with 15" woofers) about 2-3 feet from my Sony RPTV with no ill effects. Also have a subwoofer with a 12" driver about 2 feet from the set with no problem.

Call 1-800-KLIPSCH for the bucking magnets. Parts Express (www.partsexpress.com) also has them, but I don't know if they will fit your application.

Good luck!

Doug

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by dougdrake on 07-29-2002 at 05:13 PM

I hear what you guy are saying about the 4 foot distance and how it shouldn't be affecting the tv. All I know is the bottom of my tv screen on both left/right turn green when the speakers are that close to the tv. I will be looking into the bucking magnets for the tweeters & woofers on my KG 4.5's

Thanks for telling about the bucking magnets. I appriciate everyones suggestions and comments.

Thanks

Bucking magnets...we dont need no bucking magnets...until just recently had a pair of kg4s sitting 2 inches...you count em 2 inches from my sony 36" wega ....color perfect...,

now have a problem on some of the wide screen formats to where the the black bars are more trapezoidal than rectangular...should I just tilt my head...?

Is this my "early blond years" leaking out...Justin told me about this problem

This message has been edited by cluless on 07-30-2002 at 10:14 AM

I'm not really surprised about the interference from four feet away. Every TV is different - even within the same brands, different models, or different production variations of the same model, exhibit different tendencies regarding mag interference.

In my case, I have three different TeeVees in the house - a ten year old Toshiba 35", a seven year old Mitsubishi 27", and a four year old Sharp 23".

The Mitsubishi doesn't care if I set a pair of KG4 on top of it, under it, next to it, or inside it for all I know - no effect whatsoever. The Toshiba is so damn sensitive that I have trouble putting speakers IN THE SAME SIDE OF THE ROOM (17' X 21') without getting horrible picture distortion - finally wound up positioning four feet to the side and two feet in front of the set. The Sharp is in between.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System