The cure for Klipsch withdrawal...

Mallette

...is coming home to them big 'ol horns! I knew they'd be there...how many K'horns have ever been burgled? Try fitting one of THOSE$ in your sack!

First thing I dropped on the table was "The Best of Louis Armstrong," AFSD 6132 picked up on my trip. Man! Awesome performance and recording. Best "St. James Infirmary" I've ever heard. A "Hot Time in the Old Town Tonight" indeed. "Chimes Blues" exciting beyond belief. I feel SO deeply for those who become bored with their systems and need to throw money at them. Feed'em a great LP and the excitment is back, unless you just really don't like music.

Anybody know what the Frey "Stereophonic Curtain of Sound" technique was? That is what the Audio Fidelity liner notes say was used. Works for me. I am certain Louis was singing in to an RCA BK3A or one of the DX ribbons. He was right THERE.

Also hooked up the Sony ST-3950 tuner. Much improved over the Rat Shack in sonics, sensitivity, and appearance. There is NO space between stations...many more than I knew existed. Of course, mine stays pretty much stuck on WRR, our local classical (commercial, no less, and profitable) station which is quite fastidious about it's signal. Could locate anything on this tuner in my too small collection of old equipment directories, but I suspect it was fairly pricey. Heaviest tuner I've ever seen. Well worth 39.00.

It's great to be home!

Dave

------------------

David A. Mallett

Come taste muh'

Dave,

I would suspect that that "curtain of sound" thing is akin to finalizing the mixdown to three channels, left, right, and center, prior to final mixdown to stereo, since PWK used that same analogy of "curtain effect" when describing his proponency of the three-speaker stereo array...it would be interesting to verify this, though! Smile.gif

------------------

I can now receive private messages