Sub with the RF-3s?

cdsang

Well, I was wondering, now sence I am going to get the RF-3 series. I was wondering if the Klipsch KSW 15 sub would be a good idea, or should I drop down to a 12. I have the old KSW 100. And I read that adding a 2nd sub smooths out the bass. And I am also a bit tired of haveing to turn my sub down(set on half way on the sub, full on recever) while my Master Volume is up only 35% it would peak out. Well there are times I like it loud but who doesn't? I don't mind spending the money if the KSW15 is A ok with the RF-3s. If thats to much the KSW 12 then. Any answers would be great. Thanx in advance.

You should look at the RSW series subs by Klipsch (RSW 12). If you can't afford one of those, look at one of the SVS powered subs (Pci series) at svsubwoofers.com (great deal around $500-700 depending on model). Frankly, the KSW subs aren't much to write home about - there's better bang for the buck than those. The RF-3's deserve better - and a good sub will make the RF-3's sound even better.

I agree, I wouldn't waste my time or money with a KSW. When I was looking for a sub, I listened to the KSW-12, and man, it sounded like crap. It sounded like someone banging around a rubber ball inside a cardbord box. There is an Infinity line (the name escapes me right now) that sounds way better for the money. But really, if you're going for great sound for the money, go with SVS. I purchased the PCI 25-31, and I couldn't be happier with it. Very accurate response for a ported sub, SUPER deep bass, and it blends beautifully with the RF3's. Great for music, AWESOME for movies. Their prices are great, and the shipping costs are incredibly cheap. Plus, since you don't get to hear them first, they give you 45 days to return it if you don't like it.

------------------

"May your mind be like water and mold to many things." -Bruce Lee

Ok thank you. That gives me a much better idea how good the Ref-3s are. They sound pretty respected where they stand. So would the RF3s sound good for bass on there own? Just temp of course. And it seems those SVS subs are nice. I'll look around, but I'll definity will keep the SVSs in mind. Are the RSWs any better then SVS sound wise? Becuase it seems that Klipsch does better speakers then subs. But I am just asking to make sure. Also about Infinity, I think its the interlude might be those ones that dblue was talking about. If i am looking at it right, the price is better. Also what about JBL subs? Any answers would be great. Thank you in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the store and heard the RSW-10s and thought they were pretty awsome. So I was thinking either the 10 or 12 for my RF-3s. Would spending the extra money on a Klipsch RSW sub be worth it compared to an SVS sub? Thanx for you answers from the past and future.

"Would spending the extra money on a Klipsch RSW sub be worth it compared to an SVS sub?"

IMO No it would not be worth it.

Several people have already suggested the SVS and I strongly concur with their recommendations. I own the 20-39 PCi and couldn't be happier. Like you, I have the Reference III Center, Mains, and Surrounds and the SVS complements them perfectly. I really believe you get more bang for the buck with these monsters not to mention the quality of the LFE is excellent.

Let's look at it in terms of cost.

RSW 10 - $1000 MSRP

RSW 12 - $1400 MSRP

SVS 20-39 PCi - $549

SVS 16-46 PCi - $599

SVS 20-39 PC-Plus - $749

SVS 16-46 PC-Plus - $799

SVS Single CS Ultra Package - $1249

Other factors:

* Low overhead (internet direct sales)

* Summer sale

* 45 day trial period

* Excellent customer service (often dealing with Tom and Ron directly should have questions/concerns)

Trust us, you won't go wrong with these puppies.

------------------

"honesta mors turpi vita potior"

Well I was thinking I could save up for the SVS PC-Plus sub, and sence I can return it within 45 days, if I think the RSWs are any better I'll get those, if the SVS sub is as good as you say it is, I'll keep it. I might lose some money, but at least its worth a shot in seeing what sub by my ears is better. As you guys useally say, lets your ears decide. By the way, the RF-3s rock like crazy. I think thats as high as I'll ever need to go in the sensitivy area. Well thank you for your anwsers.

I'd have to echo what RangerSix has to say. I also have Reference 3s all around, and I'm running an SVS 20-39PCi. Let me tell you, this is one fantastic sub. I guarantee you'll be impressed. I can't compare it to the RSWs because I've only listened to them in stores, but it's hard to believe the 10 or 12" could keep up with the PCi. Customer service/support from SVS is top notch, too. Get yourself an SVS, and then see if you can demo an RSW from a local retailer. Head to head, I'll bet the SVS comes out the winner.