SS preamp, tube power amp

matthew2

I have a Denon 2802. How easy would it be for me to add a tube amp for the left and right RF3's? Will it sound good? Or do I need to find some way to change from my Denon to some kind of tube pre, pro combo?

Thanks for any help

------------------

Matthew

Klipsch Rocks

Matthew---I'll give you a straight answer. It's easy to do, just go from your preamp out jacks to the tube amp. Then the front amps in the Denon won't be used but the preamp and processor part, plus rear and center amps (if you want) will be. It'll work fine. As to whether it will sound good, that's for you to judge. I run a Denon AV reciver with the preouts going to tube amps to drive the front speakers and it sounds good, REAL good.

Ole Tom. Thanks God you arrived for the straight answer. And he is right as well. You can run your tube amps from the preamp-outs of your typical AV receiver that comes so equipped. Where I disagree is the sound assessment as I think the preamp is one of the most important aspects in the equipment chain. Running some top flight tube amps with a mediocre pre section is really not rewarding in my boat. Indeed, I just carried this out this weekend trying to sell Chris Robinson's Super Amp to my brother, who has loved my system for the past two years and saw ye ole Super Amp all shiny and for sale in my living room.

We hooked it up to his Onkyo AV receiver and ran it into my CW. Whelp, if I told you the sound took a DRAMATIC turn for the less inspiring I wouldnt be exaggerating. His exact quote was, "Wow...It sure doesnt sound like yours." Well, the Onkyo is not quite up to the Denon's speed but they are more alike than dissimilar. After this, we ran the Super Amp from my Cary SLP-70 to which he responded, "Well...I see I need more than an amp."

The preamp is VERY important. While you can get adequate sound, to say it sounds VERY good is stretching it a bit, at least, in comparison to other more alluring options.

Still, Tom, I dont doubt you are enjoying it. My brother is sure no equipment hound but he could tell a dramatic difference in 30 seconds. And when I put MY SYSTEM back on, he immediately exclaimed, "OK...enough. Now I am REALLY depressed."

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 07-31-2002 at 09:30 PM

For what it's worth I used my Denon for a pre amp and used my Parasound to run my front speakers. Noisy (hiss). The Parasound has input level controls so I could bring the input level down to get rid of the hiss.

I would try it. It only takes a little time to change it.

If I ever get my HT hooked up I am going to try and hook my Waves up for my front speakers.

Let us know how it turns out.

Danny

Mobile---The Denon is pretty smooth and has great clarity. My big rig is so Killer, Denon and all. I hear weird tube stuff all the time, what with the Horn Club and all, and I'll put it up against ANYTHING including Edgar Titans driven by Brennemans in terms of dynamics, low distortion and ability to put music in the room. :-) I run my Altec 605A rig upstairs without a preamp, CD player direct to the Fisher SA-100. It sounds good too. :-) Now in the spirit of reasonableness I'll admit The Big Rig might sound better yet with a nicer preamp but right now it sounds so good I could plotz. I'm listening to Great Southern Land by Icehouse right now, crankin', I swear to Christ it's like there's an Ampeg SVT and a Marshall right here in the room with me. Think I should dig-out the ole Dyna Pas-3? www.chicagohornspeakerclub.org

I love my Denon AV reciever. It's in my bedroom and sounds great with my RF3's. Surround sound is so cool. I now believe that movies NEED it. And for "wow" I turn PLII or NEO6 on. (Direct is my fav')

---

Is there a way I could use the Denon for HT, and switch to a 2 ch rig for music? Many cheep mass market audio stores do this with many speakers, amps, and CD players. I don't want to loose sound quality however. Mabey I should bi-amp the RF3's with A tube amp for the horn? (I think that would be too much work for me)

Instead of tubes, do you guys think it would be better to add a quality 2ch power amp. Or monoblocs?

------------------

Matthew

Klipsch Rocks

When I first ran my Tube monoblocks I did so with an SS Pre from the same manufacturer and it did sound good.

Later on I sourced a tube pre-amp (the Decware ZTPRE as it happens) and the sound took such a mighty leap forwards that I could barely believe my ears.

So I would conclude that the Denon may well be capable of driving tube amps and sounding better than the Denon on its own but it will not compare to a properly matched tube pre-amp in sound.

Note: The key words in all the above is "properly matched". I also tried a bottelhead foreplay pre-amp but that was no better in my setup than the supplied SS pre.

------------------

My System: http://aca.gr/pop_maxg.htm

Hi,

It doesn't sound like you have a tube amp yet so why not by an intergrated tube amplifier like the Scott 299B. You'll get a great tube sound and have a great preamp too. I assume all u want to do is listen to 2 channel music?

There are other great sounding intergrated tube amplifiers they you can get at resonable prices. Keep your Denon for movies. I remember auditioning the Denon before I decided on seperates. It is a good receiver but sounds a little flat compared to good seperates. I think you'll like the results of the tube amp. I recently auditioned tubes on my system. I have good SS equipment si I didn't hear much of a difference but when I plug in my old HK receiver I want to puke.

------------------

My Klipsch Page

www.nyonline.com/klipsch

I cant stress how important a good preamp is to the overall sound of your system, especially if you have a system with the resolution that will let you hear the difference. The preamp can bring the audio chain to its knees as the low level signals are so easily corrupted. A quality preamp is a MUST once you get to the next level in playback. As stated, the difference is NOT subtle.

Personally, I would always put more into my MUSIC system than my HT system as the needs are FAR different. Comparing the needs listening to the Pearl Harbor soundtrack vs relaying the emotion behind a Coleman Hawkins solo can be quite shocking. My brother has several HT setups and they really add to the impact of the movie (although most of the movies I really admire dont rely on sound effects). HT, even of the higher quality sort, does not do music justice, in my view.

The vintage integrated option with EICO or Scott is appealing. I still want to do a head to head comparison with a good 299C and good EICO HF-81. Either one of those will make your HT setup sound flat and sterile in comparison. Surely, that is your initially cheaper option, but this is based on a fully working unit that does not need much tech assistance. As always, there is some risk in buying vintage.

But a fully fleshed out tube setup will just amaze you in ways that HT system wont. The communication with the subtle inner detail and emotional side of the performance will be intensified. I have not heard ANY HT system equal this as most are biased toward the "amusement park" side of the audio spectrum.

kh