Speaker Matching for the KG 5.5???

PostMan

You can find a MUCH better matching center than the RC-3. The KV-3 was the speaker that Klipsch used to make to match your KG5.5s so it would be a better match. You might be able to find on on eBay. An even better approach, if you have the room, is to buy any speaker that uses the same tweeter as your 5.5s (it's the K-85-K horn) and us it. The following KG speakers use that horn: 4.2, 4.5, 5.2, and 5.5 . Likely you would have to place the speaker on it's side. Optimumally you want to build a new enclosure similar to the original (on it's side), but with the tweeter oriented correctly (instead of rotated 90 degrees).

I have a pair KG5.5s too and I bought a lone KG4.2 on eBay (for $125). I plan to use just the tweeter from the KG4.2 with some four 6.5" klipsch woofers (they're used in the SF-1s I believe) I also found on eBay. I bought all the parts (everything but the enclosure and grills) from a pair of KG4s, on eBay, for $150. I was going to use them for my rears then I found someone selling all the parts from some KG3.5s so I picked them up (and even got the grills -- just not enclosure) for like $160. I have designed all the enclosures and should (FINALLY) start building them starting next week. The center channel speaker will be 50.5" wide, 18" deep, and about 8" tall and be placed above my 55" Mits HDTV. With the rears I was able to design enclosures with the same internal airspace as the original KG3.5 enclosures that with fit into the top shelf of my built-in bookcases (in the back of my room). I'll have to post pictures once I get all the work done. Smile.gif

Since I'm using a projection television, with the speaker above it, I could probably get away without shielding it (since the speaker magnets would be fairly far away from the TV's guns) -- but the K-85-K tweeter and 6.5s woofers I bought were already shielded. I guess I got lucky; I didn't expect the tweeter from the KG4.2 to be shielded but it was.

To shield a Klipsch speaker you just need to buy a right-sized magnet from klipsch (for like $8-12) and glue it to the back of the speaker. You have to use a strong glue (like an epoxy) and some clamps because this new magnet needs to placed/glued where is pushing away from (opposing) the speaker's original magnet. One could probably use the search function to find more info on the subject.