Forte I - passive speaker replacement?

jkpalmer52

Hi,

I have a pair of Forte I's (from the the mid 1980's) that have not been used for many years.

I was moving them the other day and noticed that both the 12" passive radiator speakers in the back have been slightly damaged.  The rim of the paper has been pushed in, in a few places, probably from crawling babies 25 years ago!

My questions are simple

If the speakers sound OK, is there any reason to repair/replace?

If replacement is suggested, can these speakers be replaced easily?

TIA

Jim P.

Hey Jim: If you have been enjoying your speakers for the past 25 years I doubt there is an issue. A passive radiator is simply a wight on a spring (cone on two suspensions) . The cone acts as a dead weight piston which can resonate at a predetermined frequency, it rides on a spider and surround suspension. So long as it is air tight it is just fine. In fact you can pull your passive radiators and add weight to them in the form of some large steel flat washers to the inside centre of the unit, 2.5 ounces will get you deeper bass extension. If the passives are leaking air then you only need patch them to stop the leak. Hope this helps. Best regards Moray James.

PS: welcome aboard.

Edited by moray james

Jim,

Welcome to the forum.

Nothing but cosmetic.

If you must repair it, try either a vacuum cleaner hose(be careful strong suction) or a needle(pin) and slitghtly bend the end to form a tiny hook and carefully insert into the dust cover

and gently pull out.

Bill

Willand is right it is only cosmetic so leave it alone it has been fine all these years it's not broken you don't need to fix it. There are thousands of dust caps on passives just like this that are perfectly fine. I put metal grills over mine so they are protected and easy to handle and it also hides less than perfect cosmetics should anybody take a look around the back side of the cabinet. Best regards Moray James.