KA28 vs F-30

cgaengineer

I'm about to plop some cash on one of these two floor speakers but honestly do not know the difference between the two, the F-30 are about $25 less per speaker and is the only thing I see different other the the style.

If someone could please help me make a decision that would be great.

They in my opinion are almost identical. They are basically the Reference Series Best Buy has now in different cabinets.Very slight difference in crossovers. I have the 28's myself because I got them for $150.00 a piece or would have done the 30's. As per Klipsch,they are 99% identical in all aspects,at least that's what they told me. I have the sc-20 as my center channel and they said the 28's were more than fine and the c-20 was actually a better center channel than the kf center channel.Both speaker systems run same type of sub and aluminum tweeter, I'd go with the cheaper one only because of the pricing and basically the same speaker. Try going to best buys site directly and see if they have them cheaper.

Sorry if this offends anyone but I owned the kf-26 and kf-28 and they are both terrible speakers in my opinion. Save up more and get some reference ii models. You will be much happier. The k series just can't handle any real volume. And the only matching center you can get is very subpar for movies. Why go with a speaker that you can't get a good matching center for for movies?

750$ will get you some rf-62ii brand new or look into used and save even more. I scored some rf-82 for 200$ about a year ago.

Sorry if this offends anyone but I owned the kf-26 and kf-28 and they are both terrible speakers in my opinion. Save up more and get some reference ii models. You will be much happier. The k series just can't handle any real volume. And the only matching center you can get is very subpar for movies. Why go with a speaker that you can't get a good matching center for for movies?

750$ will get you some rf-62ii brand new or look into used and save even more. I scored some rf-82 for 200$ about a year ago.

That's why I also have the RF-25's and that full setup.They were purchased after I purchased the 28's. The 28's and 30's are entry level and unfortunately for me, I didn't know what I know now. They are fine for movies and music is ehh, but they are still better than most of what Best Buy sells and the other big box stores by me. Speaking for myself, these people who work in those stores don't seem to be that knowledgable about audio,or ask the right questions with consumers. Had I known what I learned in a month on here I would have never purchased the ICON's, but again at the same time, they are getting better sounding with my moving them around and moving my listening sweet spot closer.They are no way comparable to my reference speakers, but aren't as bad as other brands entry levels. For what I use them for, they are more than fine as my wife and kids don't care about sound quality. I watch TV and movies and the games when they come on and they are fine. I'm not using them for pure music listening and am in the process of doing a dedicated 2 channel audio set up for myself. Then I will splurge on speakers, but for what I paid for my complete 28 setup with center and surrounds in a 9.2 set up can't be beat. $750.00. But for someone just starting out, I don't think these are a bad initial speaker to get their feet wet with.

Also, what receiver are you using for these when purchased?

Edited by Jim

That's why I also have the RF-25's and that full setup.They were purchased after I purchased the 28's. The 28's and 30's are entry level and unfortunately for me, I didn't know what I know now. They are fine for movies and music is ehh, but they are still better than most of what Best Buy sells and the other big box stores by me. Speaking for myself, these people who work in those stores don't seem to be that knowledgable about audio,or ask the right questions with consumers. Had I known what I learned in a month on here I would have never purchased the ICON's, but again at the same time, they are getting better sounding with my moving them around and moving my listening sweet spot closer.They are no way comparable to my reference speakers, but aren't as bad as other brands entry levels. For what I use them for, they are more than fine as my wife and kids don't care about sound quality. I watch TV and movies and the games when they come on and they are fine. I'm not using them for pure music listening and am in the process of doing a dedicated 2 channel audio set up for myself. Then I will splurge on speakers, but for what I paid for my complete 28 setup with center and surrounds in a 9.2 set up can't be beat. $750.00. But for someone just starting out, I don't think these are a bad initial speaker to get their feet wet with.

Also, what receiver are you using for these when purchased?

yeah I agree about being much better than other brands lower or even mid lines. And if they can be had for the right price then sure. I just try to always voice my opinion same as you did to newerr guys BEFORE they make the plunge. Because OP might have enought money for reference stuff but not know any better. And I like helping people learn from me making my own mistakes.

So, if budget is tight then synergy will do. I'd take a klipsch over most others any day. But if you can save some extra moolah, reference will be better.

• Like 1

The funny thing is all of my friends have always thought I had kick *** systems. And everyone I knew always came to me for help. Then I came on this site and realized how ignorant I was with HT and audio. My 1st set of Klipsch speakers were purchased in 1998 brand new and are still being used. They were the KSB 3.1, and 1.1 and I thought they were the best thing I had heard outside of the large 55 gallon drum sized Fisher speakers I had with the 15 inch 3 way set up IN THE 80'S. Then last year I decided to get newer speakers and still everyone thought I had the greatest system. Now I'm almost embarrassed to say what I have when everyone on here has monster systems compared to what I have. The RF-25's were my first step in the direction I want to go. The 82's or 7's would be a nice next step for me.

BB sold the Icons and HH Gregg sold the Synergy line.
. I just realized I got my C-20 from PC Richards,not Best Buy.

The funny thing is all of my friends have always thought I had kick *** systems. And everyone I knew always came to me for help. Then I came on this site and realized how ignorant I was with HT and audio. My 1st set of Klipsch speakers were purchased in 1998 brand new and are still being used. They were the KSB 3.1, and 1.1 and I thought they were the best thing I had heard outside of the large 55 gallon drum sized Fisher speakers I had with the 15 inch 3 way set up IN THE 80'S. Then last year I decided to get newer speakers and still everyone thought I had the greatest system. Now I'm almost embarrassed to say what I have when everyone on here has monster systems compared to what I have. The RF-25's were my first step in the direction I want to go. The 82's or 7's would be a nice next step for me.

BB sold the Icons and HH Gregg sold the Synergy line.
. I just realized I got my C-20 from PC Richards,not Best Buy.

Hey, man. Those RF-25s kick a$$! 

Hey, man. Those RF-25s kick a$$! 

Those  I agree do kick some A$$, it's the 28's that are a step behind. But as I stated,they are sounding a lot better than when I 1st purchased them, moving them around and toeing them in more,and also moving my seating area up has given them a more enveloping sound for me. unless something falls in my lap for an upgraded speaker,and until I learn a little more,they will do. I'm glad though that I did keep the 25's when I had to choose between them and the kg 3.5's.

Edited by Jim

Thank you so much fellas, I reckon I'll order the F-30's since the price is fair. As far as sound quality, I have an 12 year old pair of Sony that new were $100...im pretty sure the F30s will do just fine and since I dont really watch many movies I am not concerned about center channels.

Good Luck with them. I found with mine, that the best sound is coming when I have them toed in and the tweeters are just wide of my ears. Also, think right triangle with the set up. The speakers are points as well as your sitting area. That should be a good starting point. By doing this it will center the voice and also give you a "phantom" center channel when you do watch movies.

Thank you so much fellas, I reckon I'll order the F-30's since the price is fair. As far as sound quality, I have an 12 year old pair of Sony that new were $100...im pretty sure the F30s will do just fine and since I dont really watch many movies I am not concerned about center channels.

Where are you located? Have you checked your local craigslist? I'd be happy to skim it for you!

You're about to spend over $400 on Synergy speakers. They're definitely a decent speaker, but $400 can land you some great, used Reference models or something even cooler!

I worked on both of those lines, so I know them well. The main difference is the directivity above 2kHz. If you prefer a slightly older klipsch sound go with Synergy. If you want something closer to the latest Reference speakers, get the Icon. They are both great speakers.

Neither of these lines have anything in common with the V series, that is another animal.