what's up with MARANTZ

sologemini

I bought a marantz 5200 receiver last september after about 2 months of research and consideration between that and DENON 2802. The first unit had noises in two channels and the second has been working fine so far. It teams up with my klipsch synergies. It sounds awesome. Today I did a little research on line because it's close to the time new models come out. I am surprised that, first, on yahoo shopping, there are at least 5 times more denon receivers for sale than marantz's. Second the denon reviews in audioreview.com outnumber those of marantz in a similar fashion. I remember last year this time, the two brands had about equal market presence.

SO, WHAT HAPPENED TO MARANTZ? DO THEY REALLY HAVE SYSTEMATIC QUALITY PROBLEMS?

Also, how does denon receivers compare to marantz's when primary use is to play rock music instead of movies?

I have never had any real experience with Marantz, but I can tell you that the Denon AVR3802 really does sound good with rock music. I'll admit that having it paired with RF-7s helps. Even when I just had RF-3 IIs, it sounded really good.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

A few years ago I purchased a Marantz 7000 receiver which was very highly reviewed. I haven't had any trouble with it. I recently read a review of the Marantz 7200 and it didn't score very well at all. I was surprised to say the least. If I understand correctly, Marantz had some quality issues that made it into the marketplace. I'm thinking the unit you had was probably one of them. From what I've read, the problem has since been rectified. There is also some talk that Marantz and Denon are merging or are going to be under the same umbrella. I was looking for a Marantz five disc DVD player about three months ago and was told by my dealer that they discontinued their five disc player due to quality issues. I don't know if that situation has changed or not, I haven't followed up on it.

Marantz did indeed have some problems recently. I just bought a 3802, but was strongly considering a Marantz receiver before reading too many bad posts for Marantz about receivers that had to be sent back.

From a sound standpoint they were great, just wouldn't work long enough.

Denon and Marantz did merge a few months back. Here's an article mentioning it:

THE MARANTZ AND Denon brands have been merged with the creation of D&M Holdings. The transaction is expected to close by May 2002 and will create a global leader in the premium home theatre and audio-video (AV) market, while maintaining the established Marantz and Denon brands. D&M Holdings will employ approximately 1,650 people around the world and will succeed Marantz as a publicly traded concern on the Second Section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange.

------------------

Mains: KLF 10's

Center: RC-3 (I know--doesn't match mains)

Surrounds: Quintets

Receiver: Denon 3802

DVD: Toshiba 3109 and 5700 (5700 goin back-stinks)

TV: Sony 36XBR400

MIT cables throughout

The merger is a shocker!.

What can I say. Sleep well, onkyo, kenwood.

Here is the website of the merged company:

http://www.dm-holdings.com/

From what I know about mergers:

There is very few real mergers. But there is a thing called acquisition which happens by a stronger player buying a smaller player and calling it a merger to give the smaller player some face. Think Boeing getting McDonald Dogulas and Dymler-Benz getting Chrysler, the list goes on and on. So the real question in this case is who bought whom?

Anyway, when can we see the effect of the merger in their new models? if any.

My guess is they are gonna concentrate Marantz on music while Denon on H/T.

Love to know more about it.

I dunno, Marantz is pretty strong in A/V ( plasma, big screens, projectors, etc.). You may be right, but my guess is they may make Marantz the Buick, to Denons Chevrolet. Or not. Who knows? All I know is these quality concerns with Marantz really bother me, as I just love much of their current line. In fact, if I were upgrading today, number one on my list would be a Marantz system consisting of the SR-8200 receiver, DV-8300 "universal" disc player, and the DR-6000 CD recorder. That'd make a tremendous core setup, IMHO. At least until it breaks. cwm36.gif

------------------

JDM

This message has been edited by James D McCall on 08-03-2002 at 06:51 AM

As was mentioned above, Marantz is very big in the pro a/v market...They have a very solid line of professional cassette decks, cd players, and portable recorders. Marantz recently released a portable cd recorder and they can't keep up with the demand....

Overall, very reliable, solid equipment....