Another "Wow this Eico HF-81 is amazing" thread

Bernard

And it is true. This little thing is amazing. I had to get it serviced and all checked out because it didn't have a fuse in it when I recieved it and just to be on the safe side. The guy said that because it wasn't grounded, I would have been shocked by 240v if I touched the chassis and something that was earthed.

Anyway so he fixed up that and some hum and he said that the volume control tracking is poor. So when I turn up the volume, the balance is wrong and he didn't know how to fix it. Does anyone know? And this guy used to build tube amps.

So its all going good now. Thanks MH for the suggestion. A great way to get into tubes.

Ivan

As far as I know, none of the Eicos (HF-81s) are grounded, hence if you touch your spade connecters to the chassis, your sound quality will suffer greatly. I learned this by trial and error.

I now use a spade to bananna adapter so I don't have to worry about changing speaker connections so often.

- tb

Ivan, that grounding issue was a bit troubling (different point than tbabb's grounding issue). Did the guy say that you could have literally been shocked if simply touching the chassis?

On the volume front, did the guy suggest that it was your volume pot that was mistracking or something in the way the unit was wired? If it is a faulty volume pot, this is a VERY simple fix that just involves a pot purchase (black beauty ALPS is fine for this with other options giving even more detail but with more $$). If it is something with the wiring, then there is a bit more trouble shooting involved. Sometimes on thesw vintage EICOs, the balance(focus) sounds off. A bypass of the balance is beneficial as well. But if it's the tracking WITHIN the volume pot, a parts swap is recommended. The tech should have done this at that time if this was the case.

kh

ps- some proper size spades work fine on the EICO. Oversize that are too wide will contact the next terminal if not careful.

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 08-02-2002 at 04:17 AM

I have a question for MH and crew regarding the Eico unit. Is it necessary to have a fuse in the back of the unit at all times? I haven't had one since I got the unit months ago and have been using it often. I also leave the roof off at all times and have touched the "inside" plenty but have never experienced a shock.

Also, for Khorns, I am supposed to have the speaker wire hooked up to the 8 ohm terminals correct?

Finally, Mobile, do you remember the name of the gentleman who offered to look my unit over when I posted about the hum I was getting? We talked about how it would go away if I jolted/moved the unit a bit but would then come back later? I rewired the back and made sure none of the wire was reaching the other terminals and I haven't experienced the hum in quite some time now; however, I am still interested in sending him the unit for inspection.

Radiohead,

I believe it was I that offered to give your EICO the once over and yes the offer still stands. Shoot me a email with your phone number and I'll call you and go over the details.

Craig

------------------

Nos.gif

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

JVC JL-F50 Turn Table

Sony CDP-CA7ES CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I W/Layne Audio Woofers

KSW-15 Subs>c>

Thanks for the replys

On the volume thing, I just called the guy and asked him about the volume pot and he said it is the volume pot that is mistracking and not how its wired. So can I just get a new one?

About the grounding, yes he said that I could have been shocked if I touched the chassis and something else like another metal amplifier covering that was grounded. This is when its turned on of course. Everything is grounded in Australia I think. He grounded a wired on the chassis to go to the step-up transformer that im using and it just plugs in there.

Just one other thing. Have you measured how many watts your EICO is actually puting out? He said mines doing just over 11 watts and its almost imposible to get 14 out of the EL84's.

Thanks again for your help.

Ivan