New 2 channel Laptop

Schu

Okay... I just bought a new laptop to use specifically for the front end of a music server.

What should I use to play, rip and store my music Library?

I am looking for 32-bit 384kHz PCM and DSD64 + DSD128 capability and Lossless uncompressed handling and interface.

Online streaming is not really a priority, but I am sure I will use it.

what do you got for me?

you won't. 

linux is great for small devices like my raspberry pi project, but it takes a lot of elbow grease and cobbling together of multiple solutions in order to get the playback/management features you seek. I walked away from the project for about 6 months out of frustration before coming back and trying again. even so, i have things segregated across multiple systems - organization and management features as part of my NAS and a raspberry pi + exclusively for music playback. the current audio drivers, however, are finicky and only support proper playback of 16/44.1 with my particular DAC. so that's what I'm running until a proper fix is released (it's been a known problem for 18+ months).

windows 8 and jriver is a dynamic combo - proceed with confidence and enjoy the ease of use and solid performance.

Edited by Thaddeus Smith
  • Like 1