Elliptical horn - first try

Arash

the other week I tried to engrave a horn into MDF and the result was stunning. sanding was needless! the surface was absolutely smooth and one with eyes shut couldn't tell if it's a molded shape or consist of layers. but this was not a horn. it's was a preset template of Artcam. NowI want to do this with a real horn shape. the Z axis of our machine can move ~160mm if the dust cap is removed so a horn with 12" length could be built in two different parts and there will be a little bit of sanding just between them.

post-41711-0-49500000-1419485414_thumb.jpost-41711-0-04980000-1419485429_thumb.jpost-41711-0-26300000-1419485442_thumb.j

I can also do this process on two pieces of hard wood. it's cheap here. just imagine how beautiful it will be  ^_^

the result of such method would be a very precise geometric shape.

I think for making a Elliptical 3D horn I should draw a front view of the horn which is an ellipse. the width of this ellipse should be the "intact" calculated Tractrix flare. then I should condense the same flare for other parts of the ellipse. am I thinking correct?

is there any information how to do this?

any help is appreciated

Edited by Arash

A full tractrix will give the lowest Fc for a given size, but is best for midrange only.

An initial conical expansion with a tractrix mouth will be useable as a two-way.

I will have to give some thought as to what the best transition point (conical to tractrix) would be.

• Like 1

A full tractrix will give the lowest Fc for a given size, but is best for midrange only.

An initial conical expansion with a tractrix mouth will be useable as a two-way.

I will have to give some thought as to what the best transition point (conical to tractrix) would be.

is there anywhere in the forum any information about elliptical horn with a conical start and a tractrix ending? that would be very hard in calculation point of view. any calculator?

Dave's Eliptrac works near perfect as a two way so that should be also a horn with conical throat? :)

• 2 weeks later...