McIntosh Mac4100 (used as a preamp) vs. McIntosh MX113

yesmynameisking

I picked up a McIntosh MX2125 along with a McIntosh MX113. Currently I also own a McIntosh Mac4100.

I’ll be using the MX2125 to power Klipsch Heresy woofers, and a modified Dynaco ST-70 to power mids/tweeters (using a Y-cable, since there’s only one set of pre-outs).

Do I want to keep the MX113 to use as my preamp, or do I want to keep the Mac4100 and let if function as a preamp?

I’ll need to sell one of them, so I want to keep the one that will produce the best sound. Please share thoughts or opinions.

• Like 1

• Moderators

How often, if ever do you listen to the radio?

Have either the MX 113 or the Mac 4100 been updated?  They are both from about the same era, the receiver was sold for a few years after the MX 113 ended.  Some people swear by the EQ feature on the mac equipment, other people swear against it.  I am not technical enough to know whether or not it complicates the signal path even if set to "0".  If it did, for me, I would opt for the MX simply because it is simpler.  

If one has been updated, by someone who knows what they are doing, I would keep that one.  I would tend to want to get rid of a unit what was either in need of updating or was updated but there were questions about it.

All things being equal, I would tend to go with the MX 113 since it was designed as a preamp to go with an amp such as the 2125.  

Well, I guess where to start might to be to compare how ones sounds versus the other, but they should be so close to tell if they are all up to speck.  I would connect a source each of the inputs on both to make sure they are all ok.  Do you listen to vinyl?  If so I would for sure see how your turntable sounds through each unit since that is going to more critical.  I would see if anything sounds scratchy on the volume controls, the eq controls on the 4100.

It has been a long time since I had the 113 so I don't have any idea what the resale of the 4100 is to the 113, that could be a consideration.

Sorry I don't have any direct answers, but I am hoping there might be a question or two you might not have considered that will assist you in your decision.

Travis