Optimal KHorn input - 4, 8, 16 ohm

richieb

Klipsch don't say on their site. so you are on your own I assume that you have a tube amp (there are some SS amps which are transformer coupled). There will be one tap which most closely matches the impedance of the speaker and using that tap will result in the best transfer of current. However if that is not the highest output impedance tap of the amp I would suggest you try that tap for a while. Running on the highest rated tap will insure that you are loading the entire secondary of the output transformer. Than means there will be no output winding left up loaded to resonate. The difference in current transfer between a 4 ohm tap and a 16 ohm tap is not a lot of power so it's not like half your amp walked away from the game. Short answer is listen to all your options and choose the one you think sounds best do that 3-4 time over 3-4 months and you ought to be able to sort it out on your own. Congrats on the big guns. Best regards Moray James.

what Klipsch tell you now

Frequency Response: 33Hz-17kHz(+-) 4dB

SENSITIVITY: 105dB @ 1watt/1meter

POWER HANDLING: 100 w max continuous (400 w peak)

MAXIMUM ACOUSTIC OUTPUT: 121dB SPL

NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms

TWEETER: K-77-D 1" (2.54cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver

MIDRANGE: K-55-X 2" (5.08cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver

MID FREQUENCY HORN: Exponential Horn

WOOFER: K-33-E 15" (38.1cm) Fiber-composite cone / horn-loaded with a trihedral exponential folded

CROSSOVER FREQUENCY: HF: 4500 Hz

MF: 450 Hz

ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: Birch Plywood & MDF

ENCLOSURE TYPE: Fully horn-loaded

INPUT CONNECTIONS: 5-way binding posts / Bi-wire capable

DIMENSIONS: 50 .75 H (128.91 cm) x 31.25 W (79.38 cm) x 28.25 D (71.75 cm)

WEIGHT: 175 lbs unboxed

FINISHES: Walnut Lacquer, Cherry Lacquer, Black Lacquer

Built From: 1946

Thanks Moray:

Yes it is small integrated tube amp with 4 and 8 ohm taps, I use 8. I use the amp occasionally as it is not my best but still enjoyable. I may give the 4 tap a try as there is nothing to loose. I think I have seen that the K33 is 8 ohm and the K55 is 16. Throw in the two piece ALK slope networks and it becomes confusing, at least for me.

Let me say, 4 ohms.  The K-Horn drops down that low. 

Someplace PWK wrote that higher (ohms) loads don't hurt but lower ones can.  So the 4 ohm tap is where the amp is putting out the most current.

Also, amplifier noise and hum voltage is going to be lower at the 4 ohm tap.

WMcD

• Like 1

"So are you saying that you can get better sound on the 4 ohm tap with Klipsch speakers and tube amps?"

At low volumes a speaker always plays loudest on the 8 and 16 ohm taps. As you turn up the volume and 'thump' it a bit you will find the speaker sounds the best on the tap that closest matches its impedance, and plays the loudest too.

Always try the 4 ohm tap. Leave it on whatever sounds the best.

Hint: it sounds 'thin' when you turn it up if you have it hooked to too high of a tap.