Craptastic theater experience today, UGH!

kenratboy

I went out with a friend today (NOT like a date Smile.gif ) and one of the things we did was see Autin Powers 3.

We went to a 10 plex in Carson City, Nevada, and it was cr@p.

1.) The theater enterence tunnel was in the MIDDLE of the theater, forcing you to sit far to either side.

2.) Throughout the film, there was a "jitter" on the film, like somthing was loose, it was almost enough to make you naucious.

3.) The worse, THE RIGHT AND CENTER SPEAKER WERE DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All the sound was coming from the left speaker only!!!

I complained to the theater attendant THREE times DURING the film, but nothing happeded.

We ended up getting two free tickets, so basically, the movie was free.

I WAS DISGUSTED!!! How could a business let that happen? This was theater #1, the main one, and the sound and picture were HORRIBLY flawed. I mean, this would be like a oxygen parlor with diesel generators inside of them!!!

Well, in Reno, the closest theater to me is Century Theater's at Parklane. It is a 16-plex and EXCELLENT! All EAW speakers and VERY, VERY nice. Not to mention some @ss kicking subwoofers.

Well, I have learned a valuable lesson, GO TO THE BIG MOVIE THEATERS!!! Oh, and a home theater is better! Smile.gif

ALSO: I have no doubt that if I went up to the projection booth, I could have turned the volume up and down a few times and fixed it. Teh sould would ONLY come back during explosions and the like. Did I mention, while the center channel was woking, the tweeter was squealing, obviously blown...

KLIPSCH ROCKS!!! So does JBL, EAW, and the like!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

We are fortunate to have a great Regal Cinemaplex near us. They use all Klipsch in everyone of the theaters there, picture and sound is excellent. But I too think my home theater system sounds better.

My HT Web Page

http://www.geocities.com/scooterb4u/ScootersHT.html

------------------

Denon AVR 3801

Onkyo M504 Power Amp driving the mains

Technique A-10 DVD Audio/Video Player

Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/Dvd Player

Dish Network Dolby Digital Sat receiver

Mitsubishi 50" Screen

Mitsubishi HSU-575 HiFi VCR

Klipsch La Scala ( Mains)

Klipsch RFC5 Center

Klipsch RSS6 Surround Side

Klipsch RSS .5 Back surround

Klipsch KSW 12 Subwoofer

Denon DRA-295 Stereo Receiver Driving Outdoor Speakers

Boston Acoustics OutDoor Speakers

My Home Theater Page http://www.geocities.com/scooterb4u/ScootersHT.html

The big guys are fine.

Even in ENGLAND (DON'T GET ME STARTED!!!), there was a TWO PLEX in a old chemical warehouse behind the train station, and it was fine!

This place BLEW!

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

I am in agreement with KRB's frustrations.

There are a few cinema's here in ORD land which have inferior sound. One can only imagine the owners are simply taking in the box office money and don't spend a dime on checking the performance of the sound system.

I have no idea what is behind the screen, the amps, equalizers, etc; but I suspect they're passable in design. Yet they need maintenance, or adjustment. And probably this would not be too expensive.

If the picture was out of focus or jumping the cogs, it would be an obvious fault and someone would pay attention to the flaw. Yet went the sound is messed up, there is no remedy.

Gil

We just had a new cinema built in our town... though I don't know what was so wrong with the old one. I saw JP3 in it and it sounded awesome. The newer one suposedly had better sound, but I so rarely go to movies at the cinema, who knows. I couldn't tell a difference, but I never go there. That would be annoying, though KRB. If you have a good HT, though, NEVER go to the cinema. lol

------------------

SoundWise / ProMedia Tech Support / 1-888-554-5665s>

Well, the movie theater I go to normally (Park Lane one) is EXCELLENT. Period. I don't even have a minor complaint, not one.

The 2-plex I went to in England was fine. Smaller theaters, but it would only take a SLIGHT bit of interest of the movie theater owner (like 5 people working there, owner there all day as well) in sound and video to fix problems. It was a very old theater, but well kept up, THATS WHAT COUNTS!!!

Hey, cheap *** stuff that works is WAY better than expensive stuff that doesn't work!

I have only started going to the movies recently. First, it was 108 degrees and our AC broke, we have $120 in free movie tickets (given away to us) and I wanted some AC. Went to the theater, and it was VERY nice, so I have gone back a few times in the last three months, just to stay cool. I smuggle candy in, and buy a large Coke for $3, so a movie for $3 + candy from Wal-Mart, not bad, add the car trip and you are talking ~3 hours for <$5!!! Before that, I hadn't been to a movie theater in two years, really!

Out HT is good enough, and we do lots of HBO/Starz/Cinemax and pay per view. If somthing REALLY good comes out, I will see it, otherwise, I will stay at home.

And yes, annoying doesn't even come CLOSE to watching that movie the way it was!!!

------------------